Ruger 22/45

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Bubblehead, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

I'm considering buy a .22 pistol and would like to know if anyone has any experience with the Ruger 22/45? I like the idea of the 1911 ergonomics but am curious if this is a good pistol or if I should consider something else.

Thanks,

John
  2. greener

greener New Member

I have a MKIII 22/45 and have found it to be an excellent shooting pistol. I really don't recall any problems with the pistol not related to ammo. (Aguila just won't feed). The downside for some is that the MKIII version grips feel a bit on the thin side. It was a put-off when I first looked at Rugers and bought a steel-frame model. I then came across a 22/45 at a price I couldn't turn down and discovered that the grip wasn't all that bad by the second mag. You can now modify the grip without much effort and expense.

[​IMG][/IMG]

MKIII 22/45 w/VQ target trigger and sear and grip panel mod.
  3. oldogy

oldogy New Member

Yeah, I have the 22/45, like it a lot. Nicest out of the box trigger I own.
    oldogy
  4. killbuck

killbuck New Member

deleted
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  5. Larry in SD

Larry in SD New Member

Yep I have a 4" Bull Barrel Ruger MKIII 22/45. However mine is not as it came out of the box anymore.

[​IMG]

The first thing I did was to grind off the raised portion of the plastic grip frame that made up the checkered grip panels. Once ground down flat I then drilled two holes in each side of the grip frame and attached 1911 Grip Screw Bushings. Once that was done it was a simple matter to attach the Hogue Soft Rubber, Finger Groove 1911 Grips.

In addition I have installed a Volquartsen Custom Target Sear, Polished the Factory Ruger Hammer and Installed a Clark Custom Guns Steel Ruger Trigger. While working on the trigger I also made a set of washers to replace the magazine disconnect safety. I also replaced the factory patridge front sight blade with a HiViz Fiber Optic Front Sight.

This little Ruger is my carry handgun for those times I want a .22 LR in a holster. It just so happens that it fits perfectly in my Uncle Mikes Kydex Paddle Holster for a 1911.

I am not sure if I could part with this Ruger MKIII 22/45.

Larry
  6. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i have owned and have a number of ruger pistols both semi and revolver,for the money you cant go wrong old semperfi
  7. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I have a Ruger Gov. model mark 11,great pistol. You can't go wrong. Enjoy :D
  8. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

Nice looking 22, Larry
  9. smcbigj

smcbigj New Member

Just got one yesterday. I'm definitely going to do something with the grips and sights...but its gonna be a fun pistol.
  10. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

I have one and it's a very fun and accurate little pistol.
  11. RickN

RickN New Member

Just bought one and can not wait until I have time to get to the range.
  12. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

I just gave my oldest grandson his first rifle, (nylon 66) for his 9th birthday. I also gave my wife a new MK111 22/45 5" and then took both of them and my son-in-law and daughter to the range last night. I can't remember when I enjoyed a shooting, outing more. The look on my grandsons face made me realize once again what it is like to finally get your own 22. Nothing like it and no sight to compare.

As to the 22/45, it functioned flawlessly out of the box with no prior cleaning (which I hardly ever do) and a combination of old ammo that has been laying in the bottom of my shooting box. (I wanted to use it up before I broke open a new box). We did not have a single failure of any kind the whole evening and shot about 350 rounds. Everyone including the kids got to shoot some rounds through it and all the adults commented on how much fun it is to shoot and how easy it is to load. (for the women that is important). Usually as you all know, if a 22 is going to fail it will be in the use of or its' rejection of some choices of ammo. This one did not miss a beat with anything I put in it and some of it was the old red and green boxed Remington from the 50s and 60s.

It made a believer of me and another testimony for Bill Ruger's genius in design of his 22 pistols.

Hope this helps a little as another test of sorts.

UF
  13. Larry in SD

Larry in SD New Member

Thanks

My nephew has the Ruger MKIII 22/45 4 1/2" Barreled Hunter version. That has a stainless-steel top end with a Fluted 4 1/2" Barrel. We did the same grip mod to his plus the addition of an old 1" Illusion Red Dot Electronic Optical Sight.

Not a 22/45 but I also have a Ruger MKII 5 1/2" Stainless Bull Barrel that I have modified some.

[​IMG]

It too, like the above 4" Bull Barrel MKIII 22/45 is a favorite Rimfire Handgun.

Larry
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  14. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I've had a 22/45 (non-Mk III) model for a while now, and I have to tell you they are excellent guns. I'd like a Pac-Lite threaded barrel for mine so that I could suppress it but I have yet to have a windfall of cash to throw away. :D
  15. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member