Ruger 22 auto pistols, highly overrated

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Suwannee Tim, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I sell the target models for 259.00. Good gun at a good price.
  2. williamd

williamd New Member

Have a M41 S&W, a Woodsman target, couple of HS MB's and couple of Ruger MK's. I rate them in that order with a big gap after the HS's. One of the HS's shoot as well as the M41 ... just not as pretty! :)
  3. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

Are you talking mark II or III. I paid $250 for a like new in box 5.5 bull mark II. that is insane for new.
  4. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Brand new mark 3 target model. The tapered barrel is about 18 dollars more.
  5. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

if ur so smart y cant u punctualize and capitalate and spell.....:D
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  6. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

This thread has jogged my memory a bit. I bought and lost the Ruger 22 in 1976. At the time I was under the impression that every good shooter stripped and cleaned every firearm after shooting it. Of course, no one does that with a Ruger 22. I also remember that the directions were very cursory and the tricks were not disclosed. I had to figure them out by myself. And it took way to danged much time and it really hacked me off. That left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Shortly the gun was stolen and gone but the bad taste lingered. My next handgun was a Super Blackhawk which after about 100 rounds, the nut soldered on the barrel to hold the ejector rod housing parted with the barrel and the assembly fell off. I returned it and a month and a half later it came back with the nut brazed back on, the bluing burned and braze metal in the threads so the screw would not tighten the housing completely. My next Ruger handgun was a Security Six which had no firing pin return spring which caused the action to hang after every shot. I returned it and six weeks later it came back with with a firing pin return spring in a plastic bag. My dealer took the gun back and I bought a S&W. Somewhere along the line I bought a M77 300 Magnum which would not feed from the magazine. I called Ruger and the guy knew exactly what was wrong, wrong magazine box. Sent me another. Evidently it happens all the time. I bought, returned then got rid of a 77-22 that grouped six inches at 50. I have a love hate relationship with Ruger. But I digress. Back to the 22. I figured out that you don't have to strip and clean every time you shoot, especially with a 22. I think if I had shot the gun more and gotten that "trick" down I might have learned to love the gun. As it was, all I had was a bad taste in my mouth. Personally, speaking as some one who has designed machines, I think I would have either removed the quirk that makes the gun hard to assemble and disassemble or for certain I would have been a bit more forthcoming in the manual. I recall the manual being terse.

I wonder, Chief, did your grandson figure this out on his own or did you help him the first time?
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The resemblance to the Nambu and the Luger is only external, though Bill Ruger deliberately made his gun resemble the Luger. But the Ruger is a blowback action, where both the Nambu and the Luger are locked breech, recoil operated pistols.

FWIW, when the Ruger first came out, the takedown was not too odd, as it is very similar to that of the Colt Woodsman. New guns are tight, and first-time disassembly is tough. But with time, and maybe a bit of stoning in the right places, they dis- and re-assemble quickly and easily.

Today, High Standard is back in business, but for many years the only competition to the Ruger was the Browning Buck Mark and its variations. The Browning is a good gun but has the problem that the takedown screws wear and can get lost easily.

Jim
  8. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

I have a Ruger Standard with a 4 digit serial number, probably made very near to Ruger's inception. I own a Liberty Ruger (1976), a 5 1/2 Mark II Bull barrel, and most recently bought the 50th aniversary model. Yes at first when they are new take down is alittle tricky but I've never worn one out and I doubt anyone one would. Maybe a firing pin after the first 10,000 rounds but with the way they are made what else could break?
  9. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

It is amazing that there are so few good guns in this class. The Ruger, the Browning, the High Standard, what others? Each has it's flaws which could have been corrected with some engineering. Its a shame. My current fav large 22 auto is my Kimber. Handles like a 1911 because it is a 1911!
  10. dhbvino

dhbvino New Member

Robert Stevens at
    drfrankenruger@aol.com sells a mod kit that makes it easy as 1,2,3 to clean the Marks'
    (772) 340 4424
    I bought the kit from him and is has cut my re-assemble time down to 1 minute or less. He also has a tool for installing the bolt back in your 10/22 and has done trigger kobs on both my MkII and 10/22. These Rugers are the best target guns in 22 LR period. I have a P22 and Mosquito which are junk compared to the Ruger.
  11. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Suwannee Tim:

Boy, you must have a real hard time working on anything if you take 2 days to clean a Ruger Mk pistol!

All it takes is following the directions in the box that the pistol came in. I'll admit it could be be easier but the pistol was designed and first sold in 1947, 63 years ago. It was meant to be an inexpensive, reliable semi-auto pistol using what was then new processes (stamped sheet metal parts). The target models have excellent accuracy. There are a bunch of after market parts for them. They shoot almost any ammo you can find. Yes, they are tricky to put back together but only if you fail to follow the instruction book.

Don't get me wrong. I too have several Hi Std pistols but they have their problems too, like:

Cracked frames if you don't use Standard Velocity ammo and change out the recoil spring regularly.

Feeding problems if the magazine lips are not perfectly adjusted. Poorly adjusted mag lips can also cause failures to fire, bolts that don't fully close and fail to fire the cartridge in the chamber.

And often a like for only a few different ammos.

So nothing is perfect. Ruger MK pistols can be found used for about half the price of an equivalent Hi Std model and you can still buy a new Ruger (the Texas Hi Std guns are not in the same league as the Connecticut Hi Std's.... I know as I have one of the Texas Turkeys).

It is fine for you to dislike a particular brand based on your own experiences (like I hate GM cars and love Ford's) but to denigrate them as over rated is not really fair. In my opinion the target models are just about the best semi-auto target pistol you can get for the money. Add a bit more and the guns can be as good as guns twice as expensive. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 5 1/2 inch target gun I use to own or my currently owned 678G Target gun. But I would not own the plastic framed version, but that's just me.

LDBennett
  12. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

another point of view.
    I had the rental program at the range for twenty years and always had at least two of the MK series Rugers for people to try. I also attempted to keep a mod 41 and a Buckmark or two at times but the only guns that would stand up to the rigors and heavy use were the Rugers.
    I learned very early on that it is not possible to keep the S&W mod 41 as they are just too finicky and ammo particular. The Buckmarks although very accurate were also ammo particular and will not stand the test of time and number of rounds.
    So the bottom line even to this day is to keep the Ruger 22LR pistols if we wanted to always have a gun for rent and to have it available all the time.

Something else that comes to mind is the number and types of accessories available for the Ruger pistols. They are very accurate to begin with but there are so many items that can be added to make them even more so or at least from the operators standpoint such as the grips and sights and barrel configurations from the likes of Volquartsen etc.

I find it very difficult to imagine anyone being more accurate than the MK11 right off the shelf but if so, there are of course some very expensive pistols and the same in the ammo for them.

As far as longevity, I don't think you will find another 22LR pistol on the market that will last as long with just about any ammo you run through it or take more of a beating with less time cleaning than the Rugers and my rental counter has been proof positive for a long, long time.

UF
  13. Citizen Carrier

Citizen Carrier New Member

I would not say they are overrated at all. The Ruger came along at a time when the rimfire bullseye sport was dominated by the Model 41, High Standards, and to a lesser extent the Colt Woodsman match models.

To bring in a product for about half or even a third of the price that can compete with such expensive designs continues to speak for its quality. As such, I would not call them overrated.

Earlier in my bullseye interest I went through a "High Standard" phase. I had a Hamden-made one. A Citation with a fluted barrel. It would only reliably work with the one original magazine I had with it. Newer Texas magazines weren't reliable enough. Ditto that Triple K crap. Magazines made for the Stoeger Pro-Series 95 copies of the High Standards DID work okay. (You can still get Stoeger Pro-Series magazines directly from the guy who used to make the Pro-Series 95 Stoeger guns, if you know what to research)

I also had a Texas-made Citation built specifically for a red dot scope. The Texas factory built it for me on the stainless frame of an inferior HS copy I sent to them. The HS guns were superbly accurate with wonderful triggers from the start. Undoubtedly the most accurate .22s I owned until I up-gunned to a Pardini.

But they didn't run reliably. I hated having to constantly alibi fire at the matches. And I was sick of spending $40-$60 for a single decent magazine...when they could be found.

Then I switched to a Ruger Mk II slabsides. With Volquartsen upgrades, which I installed myself, I started to score a lot better. And I got perfectly functional magazines for $20 or less.
  14. dld

dld Member

I guess some people just aren't educated enough for some firearms, they best leave them to simpler folks:D

Maybe some folks ability to handle a simple task might be just a touch overrated:rolleyes:

In forty years of handling and shooting firearms I have never had to send one back to get worked on or trade for a new one, maybe I am just lucky, maybe...:eek:
  15. capndan

capndan New Member

Just bought a MKII and have learned how to reassemble, but have a hard time aligning receiver & grip frame. Is there a trick to this, is there a need to fluff and buff something, or should I go ahead and get a plastic end hammer?
  16. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Don't make any modifications or hammer anything!

I suspect your hammer is not in the right position. I made a video of how a Ruger Mark II is disassembled and assembled.

I have seen people try to assemble that pistol and come to the same conclusions you have. After some practice you will be disassembling and assembling it with your eyes closed.
  17. LDBennett

capndan:

I use a rubber mallet to disengage and re-engage the grip frame with the receiver. Some are tight like mine and others are not and probably don't shoot well because they are loosely fitted.

As for alignment of the two I use the hammer spring assembly with the captive pin that goes through both the receiver and the grip frame... but from the top. When I can slip the pin into the receiver and down through the grip frame from the top then all is aligned.

These are great guns but they can be a bugger to put back together. Use the instruction book every time and the job is a lot easier. Rely on your memory and you will have to fight it to get it back together. The hammer strut is the problem. It has to be positioned just so or the gun will go back together such that the bolt can not be cycled. Checkout the instructions the next time you tear down the gun and have to reassemble it.

LDBennett
  18. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

19. jim brady

jim brady Active Member

Don't know about Ruger pistols being higly over-rated. I have handled lots of other .22 pistols, and the Ruger just handles and points better to me. Seems to have really good quality control. Putting it back together after cleaning? Takes me twice as long to assemble it. Instructions? Shoot, I thought that was a Glossary of cuss words to use so I just tossed that right away.

My old Mark 1 is a little finicky about ammo. Have an old 10-22 and a new 10-22 Carbine, and the old one shoots anything reliably while the new one only likes Remington Yellow Jackets. Maybe that's just a curse with newer Ruger products?
  20. LDBennett

There are a sequence of gun positions that you have to go through to position the hammer strut on the top of the hammer spring plunger. Fail to follow that sequence gets you a gun together but the bolt can not be pulled to the rear and obviously the gun can not be used.

No amount of intuition or expertise will get it right unless you go through the sequence. The strut disappears from view as you close up the gun so you are working in the blind. Follow the instruction to the letter and the gun goes together without a problem.

LDBennett