Ruger .357 LCR's??

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Old John, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Old John

Old John New Member

Has anyone seen any of the LCR's in .357 magnum yet?
    I've been wanting to buy one. But, I can't them anywhere. I've tried Gander Mt. and a couple local gun stores. But, no luck anywhere.
    I guess I'm going to have to settle for an LCR in .38 special.
    I've been carrying a Ruger SP101, .357 magnum for years. But DSW says I need to dress up occasionally & tuck my shirt in. The SP101 is too heavy for all day pocket carry. So now, I get to buy a revolver suitable for pocket carry. I tried the triggers on all the small hammerless J-frame size snubs, the S&W, the Taurus and the LCR.
    The LCR is the best, IMHO.
    I sure would like to find one in .357, though
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

The gun shop I do work with had a couple come in but they go fast. Go to a gun shop (not gander mtn or Bass pro, they are at the mercy of their buyers) and order one.
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Just want to toss in a couple cents worth on the .357 mag in the LCR. Be prepared for a lot of recoil and muzzle flash. Some have felt it is too much and have loaded their .357 with .38spl. because of the recoil. I carry a regular LCR in .38spl. loaded with Hornady Critical Defense (not the +P). The recoil is rather pleasant for such a light revolver. I am of the school that a couple hits with a .38spl. is much better than a couple misses with a .357mag.

I use DeSantis Nemisis in the pocket holster and you hardly know that little revolver is in there. Very pleasant to carry and the holster does a good job of preventing a print on the outside of the pocket. But close examination will let anyone know it is there, ha. Also have a Fobus paddle that I use occasionally.

Enjoy your Ruger.

Todd
  4. doug66

doug66 New Member

I think +p38's would be plenty for me.

Todd I don't own one, how is the trigger on yours?
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I suppose likes and dislikes of a double action trigger will vary considerably but I really like the trigger on the LCR. Better than on the S&W J-frames for me. Try one a gun shop and I think you will like it too.
  6. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I agree wholeheartedly! .357 in that light of a revolver will be PUNISHING! I don't even like .38 +P ammo in a S&W 642 which is just a few ounces heavier than the LCR. In colder weather .38 +P ammo just stings the hands badly with the 642. In my opinion few people will carry .357 in their LCRs once they realize the recoil issue along with the valid muzzle flash concern in low light conditions. :eek:

With that said, everyone is different... ;)
  7. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I have an LCR in 38 and carry Buffalo Bore 158 gr LSWCHP-GC's. I am not particularily recoil sensitive but the recoil with these loads is noticable but not punishing. I imagine with a 357 mag version even though it is 4 oz heavier would be significant and take a little getting used to. I don't think I would want to carry it stoked with 357's because if you had to use it for SD your hearing might not recover from the blast.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

A fat +1 on that!!! I shot a fellers smith airweight (the smith version of the LCR) with full house .357 mags and that sucker went vertical in my hands all five shots. I couldnt grip it hard enough to keep it still, it was suprisingly accurate for a mousegun on steroids though;)
  9. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

My boss has a S&W 340PD, which is their 11.4 oz. J-frame revolver in 357 Mag. I have always said if you are going to fire full power 357's in it, you may as well let someone hit you in the hand with a golf club. I have personally watched some of our SRT members (our version of SWAT) load the cylinder with five rounds and stop after firing only two or three. I have fired a full cylinder through it and half an hour later still couldn't write worth anything because my hand was shaking so bad.

But my boss has always been of the opinion that if the SHTF, his adrenaline will be pumping so hard he'll never notice the recoil until it's all over and done with.
  10. Old John

Old John New Member

Well actually.........I was thinking of the .357 LCR for the very reason that it's 3.5 oz heavier than the other one. So.......if I wanted to use +p's in it, it'd be a little easier than with the .38 LCR.
    And if need be I could use some of the .357's I have in it, especially the 110 gr.'s as they don't have as much recoil or Blast. But,they are still better'n the .38 +p's
    I just figured that extra 3.5 oz would come in handy, either way.
  11. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

John, get the one YOU want. If you don't you will always wish you had. If you change your mind you won't have any trouble trading that LCR for something else. I purchased a LCP before the LCR and while a great little pistol to carry it just didn't fit my hand. Sold it to a local LEO and got all my money back and then got the LCR which fits my hand much better and is so light you don't mind having it in the pocket all day.

My only problem is remembering to take it out and secure it when I am entering a prohibited area such as a gov. building or a restaurant that serves alcohol. :D
  12. Old John

Old John New Member

Well, I went up & got the LCR yesterday. I'm going out on the hill to my target stand to try it out tomorrow. Weather is s'posed to be about 10 degrees cooler.
    I got the .38 special, rather than wait on a 357 mag. And I got a couple boxes of regular .38 specials, no +P's for me. Man, I had to give $35.00 for a box of Remington 110 gr. LHJHP's. They keep going up.
    I got the Uncle Mike's pocket holster. It works well. I won't carry it, 'til I get a few rounds through it. It sure is lighter than my SP101, .357 magnum.

I got it just for those once-in-a-while occasions when my DSW wants me to dress up & tuck my shirt tails in. Not to very often......
    Thanks for the responses.
  13. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I havnt seen one yey. Is it a larger frame size than the LCR? Some of you said that it is 3-4 ozs. heavier than the LCR which would be no big deal for me but if it is larger than the LCR then I would stay with my LCR. As far a the kick, I love recoil! I can fire off a couple of rounds in a row one handed with my Desert Eagle .50 AE. Then I have to go to the ER for a wrist splint!:D
  14. Old John

Old John New Member

Well, I took the LCR out to the target stand, below the pond dam, yesterday.
    I put some 130 gr. FMJ's, some 158 gr. FMJ's, and some 110gr. LHJHP's through it. In all a bit over a box & a half. It shoots nice, for as light as it is. I was expecting more recoil. It doesn't seem a bit worse than my SP101 .357, with various HP's, from 110hr. to 125 gr. to 145gr. to 158gr.
    That LCR will be a nice little pocket gun, for CCW. I'm happy!
  15. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Glad you are happy with your new LCR, I like mine. I think any concealed carry gun is a compromise. I think you summed it up just right when you said
    Enjoy, Todd