Ruger .44 Mag. Carbine

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by roadkingsteve, Jun 23, 2012.

1. roadkingsteve

roadkingsteve New Member

Picked it up a few days ago. I remember seeing them when I was stationed in Alaska. They were very popular. Lots of us had .44 mag. handguns, so a rifle in same cal. was cool. I didn't own one but got to play with one often.

I don't think this one has ever been cleaned. It was the dirtiest gun I have ever had to clean (except for my Win. 1873 which used black powder cartridges for over 100 yrs.)

But after a good scrubbing it seems to cycle just fine. Doesn't seem to like my hand loads but factory ammo works good. It will need another good cleaning or two before it is truly CLEAN. It was awful.

Attached Files:

2. Plinked

Plinked Member

Thats one of my "Gotta have one day" rifles
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

They only like jacketed. Lead shavings and bullet lube does not play nice with its gas port.

They only like full power. Mid-range loads? Waste of time.
  4. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

owned one when they First came out ,,loved it,,used it as my Brush Gun when i Hunted in the UP
  5. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

I havta agree....
    Full-blown loads and jacketed projectiles.
    Sweet little carbine, bought one the week Ruger had them available
    and maybe the best brush gun ever made...
    I don't know why Ruger doesn't make them now. In my aged mind
    it would be a good seller.
    To acquire another one about ten yrs ago and not having any luck,
    I settled for a model 96 lever action Ruger, and she is nice.....but....:(
    The 96 though will shoot anything !

Attached Files:

6. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

RKsteve......
    you probably need to lube her up with some SBGO......:cool:
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I just gave mine to my Grandson for his HS graduation. He always liked to go deer hunting with it. Going to give him the Ruger Redhawk for this 18th birthday next week.

They are right about having to load it up pretty hot to have it work the action. I have never liked to load anything even to mid range, but I had to go real close to max load for the little .44 Carbine. It is a heck of a shooter!!
  8. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Ruger needs to re do this rifle but magazine fed...like a 8-10 rounder.
  9. roadkingsteve

roadkingsteve New Member

Everyone called it a brush gun. I think it was built for hunting in the brush. 100 yards max. They say you only need ONE SHOT!
  10. BadWool

BadWool Former Guest

Earlier this year I went with my dad to his favorite sporting goods store because he is like Norm from Cheers when he walks in(retired life, gotta love it I guess). While there, he asked one of the sales guys if there was anything unique to check out. The guy set down a Ruger 10/22 on the counter. I just looked at it and wondered to myself what the heck was so unique about this little .22 rifle. I rolled it over on the counter and immediately noticed something was jammed in the magazine port and I was WTF is wrong with this thing.

I then looked at the barrel end and WHOA, this is not a .22! That is when I begin to scrutinize the entire thing, and noticed "RUGER CARBINE 44 MAGNUM CAL" stamped on the left side. From that point I just couldn't get enough of this little rifle and the sales guy was getting a chuckle out of it because it does fool people who are unaware of it's existence into thinking it is a 10/22.

Well after chatting about it a little with the sales guy I let him return it to the shelf and I went to checking out other things, and then noticed my dad was buying the carbine. When the purchase was complete he turned and handed it to me - said I seemed to really take a liking to that rifle and given the unique history and hard to come by nature of it, figured it was either get it now or it would be a long time till one is seen again.

I wholeheartedly agree with the assertion that it is a fickle rifle when it comes to the power of the load. Using 1200+FPS it cycles just fine, but dropping down to 1000FPS turns it into a single shot carbine.

What is really interesting though is that the 10/22 was modeled after the .44 Carbine. The .44 began production in 1959 whereas the 10/22 debuted in 1964. Makes me wonder how many others have completely otherlooked the Carbine thinking it was a 10/22...........
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  11. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm jealous.
  12. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Well after chatting about it a little with the sales guy I let him return it to the shelf and I went to checking out other things, and then noticed my dad was buying the carbine. When the purchase was complete he turned and handed it to me - said I seemed to really take a liking to that rifle and given the unique history and hard to come by nature of it, figured it was either get it now or it would be a long time till one is seen again

I hope that you are kind on fathers day! I too am jealous.
  13. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You have the best dad in the land.
  14. BadWool

BadWool Former Guest

Thanks guys, dad is a good one no doubt. Didn't mean to hijack the thread from RoadKingSteve though, my apologies mate.
  15. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

The great thing about that 44mag was the fact that a small branch wouldn,t deflect the round ,,it would just plow right thru it and keep going,,wish I still Had it