Ruger 480

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Rugermanws, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

What ever happened to the .480 Alaskan five shot? I fired one and couldn't believe the recoil and flash. It made a 44 mag feel like a 38 special. I just assume it went the same road as the 357 maximum, gone forever.
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I noticed it's not in the catalog anymore too.
    After having put a few rounds downrange with a Super Redhawk in .480 I really don't miss it either. :)
    I doubt that Ruger found a strength limitation of the SRH frame even with the .480, I'd bet that slow sales killed it off.

Anyone going for a "monster" in my area has been buying the X-frame Smiths in .500...because it's the biggest one out there. And they're not putting much range time in with em either.
    Here in ND, there's no practical use for anything larger than .44Mag other than bragging rights. I just don't understand bragging about a sprained wrist after every range trip. :D

I think it's kinda like when the Desert Eagle first came out (okay, three times...first in .357, then the .44mag, then the .50AE version)...after a while the fad cooled off, sales dropped.
  3. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

Honestly if you need more than a 44 magnum you should be carrying a rifle.