Ruger AC556?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by 45Smashemflat, May 14, 2006.

1. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

OK, I still have not made the leap to a NFA gun (yet) but I do continue to shop and compare. Recent questions here have caused me to lean towards a full or mini sized UZI registered reciever. These guns seems to have a good rep for reliability and they maintain the ability to be converted to 9mm/45ACP/22LR if one wants to do that. Looks like they range from $7-7.5K generally. I have found that you can also pick up a Ruger AC556 within that same price range. These also offer continued factory support, or at least that's the story. Does anyone have any experience with either of these weapons to offer an opinion?
  2. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

I had a Mini-14 GB (govt) once and loved it. Externally, it looked just like a AC556 complete with folding stock. It was stolen along with 12 other of my toys or I would still have it. A friend used to have a class 3 license and I got to shoot a full-sized IMI (Israeli) Uzi and was impressed with the quality. It was a very well-built gun. Also got to shoot a Reising smg in 45 acp (made by H&R I think) Loved that one too. At the time (late 70's) the reisings were advertised in Shotgun News for $60. If I could only go back in time!! Remember in the mid eighties when Ak-47's were everywhere for $150?
  3. 45Smashemflat

Yep, the cost of transferrable Class III weaponry is truely outlandish - but that also makes them a fair investment that you can mess with and then sell if you need to - perhaps even making a profit, generally not losing money. In 1986 they fixed the "supply" so now its all about demand. Kinda like ocean front property, "they ain't making no more of it."
  4. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

5. 45Smashemflat

Thanks LTS - great site!
  6. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member