Ruger American Rifle??

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Albtraum, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifle/index.html

[​IMG]

I've been wanting a centerfire rifle for awhile, I've made plenty of threads about the Savage Axis and other entry-level/value rifles, and maybe it's a good thing I held off for so long, it seems Ruger has a new rifle with a $449 MSRP. It also looks pretty badass compared to the Axis.

However, it is not available in .223. Being on a college-student/part-time work budget, should I consider a caliber other than .223? Ammo price is a determining factor for me, as I want to pleasurably shoot the gun and not think about how many quarters and dimes are being fired down range. I won't be reloading, and my dad and I are looking for a cheaper alternative to .270 and 30-30. Maybe I'm just too used to .22LR ammo prices.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  2. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

I like the Ruger .204 and have one on layaway now. I bought 100 rounds of new brass for $25 roughly for reloading, Remington brand which I didn't think was bad. The .204 will smoke a .223 performance-wise in all aspects from my research. Other than that .22-250 and .243 rock also, but take a little more lead and powder since they are a bit bigger.
  3. V509

V509 Member

Looks like it was heavily influenced by the Browning X-bolt but the trigger looks like a Savage copy......
    hmmmmmmm
  4. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

Check if it is available in 308. Mil surplus is readily available
  5. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

.204 sounds fun, but with no reloading equipment, I'd like to stick with a gun that shoots cheap factory loaded ammunition. I probably couldn't tell the difference between calibers performance-wise unless looking at a ballistics chart. I'm just starting off and looking to step up from .22s. .308 sounds like it fits the bill, but I'm not quite sure if I'll like the recoil... Could a .308 ever be considered a plinker like a .223?
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  6. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

The 308 is not a plinker. It will let your shoulder know when you touch it off.The .223 is the best bet, for your needs!:)
  7. Airdale

Airdale Member

You'll be able to save a bunch from MSRP. If you are looking for an affordable hunting rifle what's not to like? Fully floated barrel, Bedding blocks, bases included and 6.25lbs max. I'm thinking better value than a Stevens. If'n you don't want heavy recoil go .243 or .270 both respectable calibers.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yep. Id get a .223. Federal 20 rd boxes (black ones for the AR) at academy for 6 bucks a box. Its brass cased too.
  9. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Wow! Now thats a pretty interesting looking rifle! I have to say, there is something I just dont like about the "lines" of the Axis. The 110 wasnt the PRETTIEST thing out there, but it and the Stevens 200 are still just "better lookin" than the Axis. I think its the area immediately behind the striker, at the top of the pistol grip - looks to me like someone FORGOT something, lol. ANY HOW - its disappointing that this new Ruger isnt being manufactured in .223 - its a great little "plinker" and groundhog caliber. Hope the add it to the line up SOON. :)
  10. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

Keep looking. People what buy a rifle for the way it looks are simply NOT aware of what rifles do. If you don't know enough to shop for what a rifle actually DOES, keep learning before you buy.
  11. oldbrass

oldbrass New Member

ofcourse I don`t see a left hand model, story of my life DANGIT
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Shoot it upside down .. :D
  13. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Just reach across and yank the bolt from the wrong side. I learned that one way back when I was a kid. I have owned mostly RH rifles but I shoot em from the "right" shoulder. ;)

Besides, reaching across will help shield your eyes from the looks of that thing too. (Sorry...it's just not catching my eye as pretty. I'm old-fashioned I guess...wood, blued-steel, and classic lines are my preference. :))