Ruger American?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by 68c15, Jun 2, 2012.

1. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

what do you guys think of it? I am slowly shopping for my next rifle. it would be mostly for deer and some range time. I'm not sure of caliber but I am leaning towards 30-06 for versatility.
    granted it is not pretty with wood and nice blueing but I doubt the deer care.

is it as accurate as the magazines say it is?
    is it worth $399 (scheels in 30-06)

any changes I should plan on after purchase?
  2. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

I've been looking around the internet and it makes me wonder. does anyone have a bad review of this rifle?
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I would never be without my 30.06. Also 68, a daisy Red Ryder BB gun does not count as a 30.06. :lmao2: Oops, did I make you spill yout cocoa? Jimmy is soooo sorry.:D
  4. ksblazer

ksblazer New Member

Was at the range today and a guy next to me said he checked one of these out the other day. He said everything on it was pretty nice except for the stock. He sad it had some flex to it that worried him.
  5. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    id suggest the 308 instead of the 30-06 ballistics are close to the same and since 308 is still used by the armed service. old semperfi
  6. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

the American has moved to the back burner until at least Saturday. a friend of mine has a lead on a Savage 110 in .30-06 with wood and a scope for $200. accuracy and design are important but with things the way they are right now price sings pretty loud
  7. ozo

ozo Active Member

I too would opt for the .308 caliber.
    Yet if the caliber is not necessarily the criteria
    and the nicety of the rifle is, and $$$ is a bit short,
    I would suggest looking for a used Model 77 Ruger.
    Mauser action, balanced, sleek, and oh so accurate.
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Ruger American is a M77 with synthetic stock and a swooped bolt. Good guns, heavy triggers is their only downfall. Id go 308 too. 7mm08 if they made one.
  9. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

Id go 270 but thats just me
  10. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I haven't shot it but I did get my hands on one at SHOT. That is the best entry level deer rifle on the market.

The bolt is 1 piece and the body is just as large as the lugs so it rides in the action very smooth. It is a well thought out well engineered rifle. I don't think you will be unhappy with your purchase of one.
  11. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

It is not a M77 it is the Ruger American Rifle. Totally new action design.
  12. ozo

ozo Active Member

Ya, that's why my suggestion of a used older one w/mauser action.
    My M77 7mmRemMag is awesome, but it's from the '80's.
    A bit large [7mm] for deer, I bought it solely for an elk rifle.
  13. Airdale

Airdale Member

Get the Savage if it's in good condition. Easy gun to do your own smithing on. For that kind of money you could afford a new Rifle Basix or Timney trigger and have a real sweet shooting rifle.
  14. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I'd go for that used Savage myself too if it's in good shape.
    If it's a pre-Accutrigger, then that cheap looking stamped sheetmetal factory trigger is easily tunable into an excellent hunting trigger. No need to swap it out.
    If it's an Accutrigger, I personally would consider replacing it with a Timney if it was my purchase. I wouldn't go with RifleBasix...just going by my personal experience with them on Rugers and Remingtons.

I've checked out the new Ruger on the shelves locally, but I've got no range time with one and I don't know anyone that has bought one yet.

-I do like the short-lift three-lug bolt design.
    -That new adjustable trigger doesn't seem that bad on the couple that I looked at either...considering I'm not a big fan of the Accu-trigger or any of the "clones" like this is. I'm old fashioned and prefer a nice well-tuned single-stage or a single/double-set trigger.
    -I didn't get a chance to cycle any rounds through the action or mag, but if this rotary mag feeds as good as Ruger's other rotarys then that is a positive.
    -I just plain don't like the synthetic stock or the styling either...but then again I'm partial to the classic lines of Mausers and all their "antiquated" variants (which is why I like the M77 and the M77MkII). :)
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  15. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

one thing that concerns me about the American is the way the magazine is held in place and how you remove it. it doesn't take much effort to pop it out. in translation that means a twig or branch could make it fall out while stalking through the trees or hoisting it up a stand. granted some duct tape would solve that but still...

we'll see if the savage deal comes through. I'll pay extra attention to the trigger.
    thanks guys