Ruger Black Hawk

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dbach, Jul 29, 2012.

1. dbach

dbach Member

I'm looking at getting a new ruger Blackhawk. Probably a 45/45Colt Convertable. I'm in no hurry and will spend a lot of time shopping for the best value.

I'm looking at Stainless vs Black finish. I like them both but have never had a stainless steel gun.

What are the pro's/cons of Stainless.

Which way would you go?
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Well, obviously the pros are it's easier to care for. Not as much of a rusting problem. Notice, I did not say it won't rust. Stainless will rust, but nowhere near as easily as blued will.

If you get a scratch, you can generally buff it out without making the gun look funky.

Cons are glare. A lot of the cowboy shooters glass-bead blast the top strap and back of the recoil shield, on their stainless Vaqueros, so they don't have a glare problem.

Lotta people think a stainless single action just don't look right.

Beings as I'm lazy about cleaning my guns, I like the stainless better, but I've got both, and I like both.

[​IMG]
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It comes down to personal choice. I too have both. I prefer the blued but they will show their wear as opposed to the stainless. I have holstered my stainless more then the blued but you wouldn't know it. HOWEVER, that being said the wear marks on my blued guns give them personality and I prefer the personality and rustic look in a gun over the look of perfection.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

if you get a stainless youll be a sissy.. ;)
  5. dbach

dbach Member

JLA

OK you got me with that one. I just spit tea all over my computer.

very funny.
  6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ya, he got me too, I about choked on my Pepsi. I have 5 that are stainless. Great, just great, I'm a sissy.
  7. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

We already knew that:eek:hmygosh: I mean after the nail polish, the pedicures, the thong etc etc etc
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Is that only stainless Blackhawks that make you a sissy, or is it any stainless gun?
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I had an Italian Colt clone SAA for a couple of decades. I never really like it even though it had a beautiful finish (but lots of sharp edges and poor fits). It did not shoot to point of aim at all and had lots of cylinder end shake. It also was not that accurate. I eventually sold it after it spent most all of its time hiding in my safe.

I replaced it with a Ruger Vaquero. It is the highly polished stainless Bisley Vaquero with the simulated Ivory grips (a FLASH gun!). What a difference. It pretty much shoots to point of aim, is accurate for what it is, looks amazing, doesn't move around in my had during firing (admittedly it is in 357Mag vs. 45LC but it does not require reseting my hand position with every shot from the gun rolling back in my hand as the SAA did...thank you Bisley grip). I too had to bead blast the front sight for my target shooting to reduce the glare in bright full sunlight but not anywhere else.

As for stainless guns, ALL my several other revolvers (several S&W's) are stainless. The cleanup is much easier as you don't have to worry about scratching any bluing. I typically use a stainless steel brush on the cylinder's front face and there is only a hint of staining left there from the hot powder and gases and no scratches. Stainless is the way to go with revolvers as they are so dirty when shot. For semi-autos all mine are blued or have some durable black paint like finish (Sig's and CZ's). No need for stainless semi-autos for me.

This is a Blackhawk based gun and is excellent.

LDBennett
  10. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I thought it was the nickel plating that makes it a sissy pistol, not stainless steel.
  11. skullfr

skullfr New Member

the blackhawk is a fine revolver and stainless is prettier.I have a rossi stainless r462 .357 snub revolver and I garuntee ya no one would call me a sissy if it was in thier face.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

any kind of bling on a pistol makes you a sissy. but the term I am familiar with is sissy stainless. I too have stainless in and on my guns.. mostly in the form of barrels and some internals. But every single one of my guns also incorporate blued steel.. Except for my entirely nickel plated coachgun..
  13. al45lc

al45lc New Member

I have owned MANY Blackhawks, and the S.S. Blackhawks have had more problems than the blued.
    I have NEVER had a factory defect with a blued Blackhawk,(out of 7) but have had 2 of 5 S.S. with problems, from under sized throats that Ruger refused to take care of, to severe rifling 'chatter' or cuts in the rifling that caused extreme lead fouling.
    In addition, S.S. Rugers seem to have far rougher internals than the blued, and typically have worse trigger pulls and actions than the blued.
    I now have one S.S. that I have kept because I like it, and I sank too much into it making it right to expect to get my money's worth out of it.
    I'm a Ruger fan, but would be hard pressed to buy another S.S Blackhawk.
  14. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

al45lc:

I'm not surprised you found problems with a stainless steel Blackhawk. Stainless steel is hard to machine because it does not machine smoothly. The chips grab the metal as they leave making for a rough surface, in general. It of course depends on the exact alloy used and the lubricant. S&W tried for years to make stainless steel guns before figuring it out. Their stainless steel guns are superb but they use many different alloys to minimize the tendency of stainless steel to gall when run against itself. I can not imagine Ruger putting that effort into the research and development to get both the alloy choices right or to figure out how to get the production machining processes correct. Ruger is about large production, not superb weapons made with finesse, as S&W is.

I bought my Ruger Bisley Vaquero because of the way it looked (all highly polished with white imitation Ivory grips....a "flash gun"). I immediately had to bead blast the front sight so I could see it when shooting outdoors. But it shoots well enough for plinking. I have other much more accurate revolvers including some S&W's and a Dan Wesson. Now there is an accurate blued gun in 357 Maximum. I have had both the regular 357 Mag version as well as the 22LR version but have kept the 357 Maximumn (My son got the 357 Mag and I could not shoot the 22LR all that well unless the gun was supported so I gave up on 22 revolvers and now have tons of 22LR semi-autos). The S&W are all stainless and shoot fine (44 Mag, 41 Mag, and 357 Mag). I also had a blued S&W Model K22 but ran into the same problem of me and 22 revolvers, so I sold it too.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  15. Petergunn

Petergunn Member

I got a blued 5.5" 45/45acp Blackhawk in Jan and I love it, it's going to be my whitetail rig this fall
  16. Mike1959

Mike1959 New Member

but im sure it is easier to match your nail polish to stainless than it is to blue