Ruger Blackhawk 357 mag

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by tonygrz, Feb 8, 2008.

1. tonygrz

tonygrz New Member

Hi,

I recently took in trade a pre-warning Ruger Blackhawk. Two questions.

1. Do the pre-warning Rugers have more value than the warning model???

2. This revolver does NOT have a half cock position. The cylinder spins just by opening the shell feeder. Is this normal for this revolver or is it broken???

Thanks for your responses.

Tony G.
    tonygrz
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I don't know about the value, but I do know that opening the shell feeder is supposed to allow the cylinder to spin. At least that's how it's worked on my friend's Blackhawk since new.
  3. dusty9

dusty9 Member

Based on your description, your revolver would be a New Model Blackhawk. You can tell for sure by checking to see if has the transfer bar system. It is possible it is an old model that has been converted to the transfer bar system. Ruger is still advertising they will convert the old models to the new transfer bar system. You can also determine when your revolver was manufactured by going to the link below and entering your serial number.

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAQs?site=Firearm&cat=1

I'm not sure about the value of it compared to the newer models.

The cylinder spinning freely when the loading gate is opened is the way it is supposed to work.
  4. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

If the cylinder turns by opening the loading gate which is done without any half-cock of the hammer it's a New Model. Also very easily determined by it either having three screws or two pins. It does seem it's a New Model, but an early one if it doesn't have the warning. It will command a slight premium over a model with the warning but not alot unless it's complete (box, papers, etc) and in a favorable condition.
  5. szuppo

szuppo Former Guest

Post the serial or partial serial and Ill tell you. If it is a three screw without the safety update, do not send it in. It detracts from the value.
    If it is early it is substantially more valuable than a warning marked gun.
  6. tonygrz

tonygrz New Member

It's not a three screw - pins. And I made a big mistake - it's not a 357 but a 44 mag. The serial number is 81-295XX. I had it sitting next to the 357 mag and I just assumed it was the 357. See what happens when you get old? The only good thing about getting old is that you can blame everything on "old age".