Ruger blackhawk .41 magnum

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by SW44Mag, Aug 23, 2008.

1. SW44Mag

SW44Mag New Member

I want to purchase a handgun. I would really like a S&W Model 29, but they are out of what I can afford. How good or bad is the Ruger Blackhawk .41 Magnum? Thanks.
  2. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

I haven't really heard anything bad about the Blackhawk, other then a few cases about sharp corners in the earlier models. Not sure about the .41 mag, why not the more common .357 mag or .44 mag.
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

My girlfriend's brother has one in .44 mag, and it's just a peach. It's his deer hunting gun. I don't know how the .41 mags are, but I'm sure they're just about the same.
  4. Erich

Erich New Member

Albuquerque NM USA - 6000' above sea level
    The 4 5/8" Blackhawk .41 was the .41 that I owned the longest. It was strong as a bull moose and as accurate as a laser (. . . just like most .41s). The trigger was not the best. The overall size was larger than it needed to be due to the old-fashioned SA styling - this is why I eventually sold it off and replaced it with a Model 57.

You'll be happy; it's a great gun for the money.
  5. SW44Mag

SW44Mag New Member

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.
  6. h2oking

h2oking Former Guest

Ruger makes very good utilitarian stuff but I would suggest that you either consider a 357 (their new flat tops are cool) or save your money until you can afford the 29 Smith you want. The reason I suggest this it that any high recoil single action is only fun to shoot a few times with stock grips. The other thing is that the 41 mag is all but dead and from a resale standpoint you can always get rid of a 357 or 44 a lot easier than a 41 anything should you decide something different.
  7. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

Ruger's .41 Blackhawk with a 6.5 inch barrel has been my deer gun for 20 years now. Not one of the several deer taken have needed a second shot. It is a great cartridge, although not very popular at this time. If you handload, you can really get the maximum potential. As far as the trigger goes, Wilson makes a good replacement, it will make a difference. By the way, I'd love to get my hands on a 4 inch S&W Mod. 57, they are just a bit scarce around here.
  8. Big Bore

Big Bore New Member

If you look at the ballistics of 44 vs 41 mag you'll find some interesting stuff. The 41 carries it's energy farther and shoots flatter. The 44 isn't that much bigger in diameter (actually .429 not .44) Like the 10mm,38super and some others that seem superior to what becomes the most popular, the 41 doesn't get its due. IMO:mad: