Ruger Blackhawk / Single six Lovers

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by johnlives4christ, Mar 20, 2009.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

Howdy everyone. i've been a member here for a little while and read for hours sometimes (ask my wife) and i love most everything i come across. one thing that i would like to hear is some stories about everyones ruger blackhawks, or single six's. maybe a good story on how you got it, or on how it shoots, or what you hunt or shoot with yours.

i have a new model blackhawk in 357. i want one in 44 :D
    it was made in 74 according to the ruger website, first year production for that model. i traded a glock 22 for it. well i could tell it was older because it didnt have the warning roll mark on it. and it was in almost NIB condition. there was no wear on the gun anywhere i could see, just handling marks from being kept for so long i guess. the normal silver ring from the cylinder stop was no where in sight when i got her. she has a 6½ bbl blued. the wooden grips were replaced by slick buffalo horn.

the single six was made in 73 or 74, according to the number, i cant remember which now, but anyways. i bought it at a pawn shop for $200. it was well used and shows a lot of holster wear. but the action is still tight with not much play side to side or end to end. it didnt come with the 22 mag cylinder though. i had the buffalo horn grips on it for a little while before i got the 357, now the 22 has wooden grips. oh..... one of the previous owners has scratched his/her social security (serial) number on the butt of the gun. i thought this just added charactor. it has a 5½ bbl, blued as well.

anyways. guess i just love my rugers and i would love to hear some stories and maybe see some pics of others beloved ruger single actions
    ~john
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

When we lived in Alaska in the 60's, my wife and I each had a burning desire.
    Hers was for a fur Parka to keep her warm.
    Mine was for a .44 Magnum pistol to keep us safe.
    We fulfilled our desires in spite of political correctness.
    She got a Kit Fox parka, and I got a Ruger Blackhawk.
    It is the old model, and I remember when the idiot sued Ruger and they came out with the new model, offering to upgrade the old models out there at no cost. I declined, and it is still in original condition.
    My single six was purchased used from a guy I worked with back in the 70's, and came complete with the mag cylinder and a quick-draw holster.

Both weapons are - uh - in safe storage, shall we say?
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Back in the late 70s, I bought a 6 1/2 inch OM Blackhawk, in 41 magnum, along with a box of RP 210 JHP ammo. Me and my little brother immediately went out to the canal to try it out (where they had dredged the canal they dumped the dirt on the bank. Made a great backstop).

He stood a piece of 2x4, about 8 inches long, on its edge, with the 3 1/2 inch side facing us. We walked back about 50 yards, and he knelt down, and taking careful aim with his Mini 14, put a hole smack-dab in the middle of that 2x4. Said, "See? That's how it's done." I knelt down, took careful aim with that "hadn't never shot it before, hadn't never shot no 41 mag before, didn't have no idea what kind of recoil or accuracy that dang gun had" blackhawk and shot out his bullet hole. Ain't never done that good with that gun again, but the look on his face was beautiful.
  4. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I bought a new model Blackhawk just a few days ago, but haven't been able to try it because my local range isn't open for the season yet. I'm glad I bought it when I did, it was the last one around. There is a 9mm cylinder with it, which is a good thing because I was able to get a bunch of ammo; there isn't any .357 magnum or .38sp ammo in the stores anymore, but I was able to get one box of each. In a week and a half, I will be at the range giving it a workout. I can't wait!
  5. bestseller92

bestseller92 New Member

Blackhawks and Single Sixes are superb revolvers, bull-tough and accurate.

But I wouldn't want to trade my Glock 22! :)
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Alpo your story reminds me of a shooting session many years ago with a friend. We were shooting a variety of our firearms and at the end decided on a contest. He had a Dan Wesson 357 mag and I was shooting my single six and I put an empty 22 RF cardboard box sitting on top of the target frame at 25 yards. It was ok 1-2-3 and we both fired. The box flew off clean and we went out to look at it. We were walking together and then he started walking faster saying if it had a big hole we'll know who hit it ..... he picked up the box before I got there and threw it. I knew it had a small hole and had a good laugh.
  7. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

http://thefirearmsforum.com/picture.php?albumid=104&pictureid=412
    This is my favorite. I bought it just because the grips were a light color instead of the Ruger dark orange color. It just looked cool with the satin stainless finish. Shoots really great too. I am eyeing a Super Blackhawk Hunter model really close... Actually I am drooling. I just have to convince my wife that it is a matter of life and death.
  8. TheGunClinger

9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Did his pictures open for anyone else? For me, the page opened, but it is completely blank. Not even a "file not found" notice.
  10. pawn

pawn Active Member

11. TheGunClinger

I dont know what the problem is. I click on it and the pic appears. I havnt figured out yet how to just have the pic appear instead of the link. I will work on it some more.:( In case I cant , it's a really nice gun!:D
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Bought my first single six about 40 years ago, .44 mag, 7 1/2" brl. Started reloading so I could afford to feed the beast. Took me forever to learn to shoot the darn thing. I bought it at a gun show for $175, and it was a great shooting gun. I wound up putting a scope on it, and just loved that gun! Lost it in the mid 80's due to lack of a job! Bought another new model, in 5 1/2" brl., at the end of the 80's, and been shooting it ever since. I have owned the single six in .22 also, lost that one the same time I did the .44.
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

the vaquero is by far my favorite

Attached Files:

14. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

very nice JLA.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Added an 'old' new one to my collection. This one dates back to 1976-77 couple years after they started the 'new-model' super blackhawks. i got it with a holster, and about 150 pieces of once fired brass. Its been 'well-used' and very well taken care of. feels like cocking a piece of glass and the trigger pull is about 2.5 pounds and breaks like grammas china...:D

Attached Files: