Ruger Blackhawk swap

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by oldredneck, Oct 18, 2008.

1. oldredneck

oldredneck New Member

I thinking of attempting a trade at the next gunshow I attend, which will be in mid November. I have a Glock 26 in very good condition which I haven't taken out of my safe in about two years and I'm thinking of trading it for a used Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Mag. The Glock has probaly had less than 500 rounds put through it. I know the condition of each weapon will determine its value but if both weapons are in comparable condition would this be a reasonable straight up trade. Also, do any Blackhawk owners out there know of any problems or issues with the Blackhawk?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I only know of two possible problems with Blackhawks. With the New Model guns (where just opening the loading gate allows the cylinder to spin for loading) the chamber holes do not line up with the loading gate when they click into place. You need to look at them as you load, to finesse them into the right position. Old Model Blackhawks and Colts and their copies line up perfectly, and you can load and unload by feel, without looking. This may or may not be an annoyance to you.

I have heard of Blackhawk cylinder pins launching downrange, under recoil. I have never, personally, seen this happen. I have two 357s, a 41, 2 45s, a 44 and a 30 carbine blackhawk, and have never had a problem with this, but the reputation for it happening is out there. Belt Mountain base pins were invented to solve this problem. So, if you have it happen to you, you can get one of theirs. http://www.beltmountain.com/
  3. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I have a Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag and my only issue is the rear sight bottomed out and it was still shooting high. I had a smith D&T and put a Red Dot on it so I can hunt with it. It is an excellent S/A with good accuracy and have never had any other issues.
  4. lead

lead Active Member

I know lots of Ruger owners and have never heard of some of these problems from any of them(me included).
    On a retail level, your Glock would sell higher then the Ruger, just a little anyway. You shouldn't have too much trouble getting someone to deal with you.
    Just a suggestion, see if you can find a Bisley Blackhawk. That Bisley grip makes the 44mag feel more like a .357. They're kinda hard to find though.
  5. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Well now you have. The Smith that I had D&T said it was quite common with the SBH to have the rear sight bottom out with the stock sights. The options are a higher front sight or with the older models like mine D&T. Wouldn't stop me from buying one as it is a great SA. I don't have a beef with Rugers as I own 9 in total and my next one will be a 4" Redhawk.
  6. oldredneck

oldredneck New Member

Thanks to everyone who responded! I can always depend on good reliable info from members of this board. Shooters are some of the best folks around.

Terry_P, thanks for suggesting the red dot. I intend to hunt wild hogs with this pistol. Is the Blackhawk already drilled and tapped or did you have a smith do it?
  7. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

The hunter model has a rib with grooves for Ruger rings and I don't think the others are factory D&T. Mine dates back to the early 80's and I had a smith drill and tap it. If I had a do over I would probably just put a decent handgun scope on it instead of the Red Dot.