ruger charger into a mare's leg

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by tymbrewolf, Jan 15, 2012.

1. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf New Member

Any thoughts one where I would need to cut off the stock of a ruger 10/22 to make a Mare's leg type stock and it not be considered illegal SBR. Since the charger is a pistol, it is legal to use any kind of one handed stock that has the grip angling down below the barrel. I am not interested in circumventing any laws, just thought an old stock I have might be interesting to cut down into something without the lever. If I cut down the fron at the barrel band, the barrel will protrude about an inch.

http://maresleg.com/maresleg.htm

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-list.cfm?category=17

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-mares-leg.cfm

I would think that I would want to cut the "butt" of the gun at angle like the mare's legs as not to infer it is intended to place against ones shoulder. In fact, I would likely install a swivel in the end to allow for a single point sling.

Maybe even doing as this individual did. Just shorter like the mare's leg...

http://www.nylonrifles.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=437

My charger now
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/72883252@N08/6699086851/
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Possibly 4"-5" behind the receiver. I would suggest writing the Firearms Technology Branch of BATFE before doing this and get a written response.
  3. oldbrass

oldbrass New Member

why not an m1 style collapsable stock with a pistol grip, it will still be considered a rifle and no legal issues..best of both worlds
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If you start with a 10/22, then you will be making a Short Barreled Rifle, and it does not matter how short you cut it. You just gotta pay that 200 dollar tax and jump through the hoops.

If you start with a Charger, it is already a pistol, and you can do whatever you want to with it, as long as you do not put a shoulder stock on it. Doing that would make it a SBR, and again you need to do the 200 dollar tax and jump through the hoops.
  5. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf New Member

I have sent a letter to the technology branch of ATF asking how short it would have to be to not to be an SBR and subject to the tax stamp. As it is just for fun, I sure want to be legal!!!
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Now you've got me confused.

Are you starting with a 10/22? That's a rifle, and it can be no shorter than 26 inches overall and have a barrel no shorter than 16 inches.

Are you starting with a Charger? That's a pistol. You can have a pistol as short or as long as you like. You can put a 6 foot long barrel on a pistol if that floats your boat, or have one that just barely clears the chamber. As long as you do not put a shoulder stock on it, it is a pistol.
  7. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

What he is wanting to do is take a Ruger 10/22 stock, cut it down and fit it to a Ruger Charger pistol in a 'Mare's Leg' configuration. The problem is that if the stock looks to be designed to fire from the shoulder it might be considered a firearm under NFA.

My thought is that if the Ruger 10/22 stock is cut at the rear of the pistol grip he should be OK, but he should check with the FTB and get a written response.
  8. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf New Member

stone chimney is right. as we know, the charger is a little nose heavy. the area behind the pistol grip will help balance of the gun. it will also give the look of the leg. hand gun only, not short barreled rifle. just for fun.
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Okay, now I got it.

My initial thought is, as long as you cut the shoulder stock off the rifle stock BEFORE you put the pistol in it, you should be fine.

But, since ATF is full of folks that make up their rules as they go along, it would certainly be better to get their take on it first. In writing, on ATF letterhead, with a real person's signature, not a phone call or an email.
  10. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

What I'd love to see is a design that's a mid-grip "stock" for the Charger.
  11. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf New Member

I don't believe that would be very feasible. Now a 10/22 charger SBR'd in a bullpup design would and has been done. You would want to balance the gun on the grip. I would think the balance point would be close to the magazine well. But, what do I Know? :)
  12. kcomqg

kcomqg New Member

if it started as a rifle it has to have a barrel 16" or longer
    but if the receiver was regestered as a pistol it can be any length
    this is how they word it
    i have a sbr permit i got it for an ar with a 10.5" barrel $400.00 worth of uslessnes
    and you cant sell it once you make it lots of regs on them
  13. Ed~

Ed~ New Member

Hey tymbrewolf, Did you get started on your project? Love to see pics. I have the same desire myself... got the stock already and just have to get the Charger! :)

I figure cut the stock as far back as you can so that it has the "look" of a Mare's Leg (roughly copy Henry or the new Rossi) and cannot mistakenly be shouldered and you should be A-OK with the pencil pushers. If you really wanted to contact ATF to get their written description of what's legal for this pistol it may take a while but...

Inquiring Minds want to know!

BTW... what would you do about a sight? For the look I mean...
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
  14. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf New Member

I still have not heard from ATF, but it has only been since Jan...

There are some barrels with fire sights that would be ok looking.
  15. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf New Member

In the meantime, I am pretty happy with both of my chargers with modified triggers, black hawk stocks, two point sling, added sling attachment to side of forestock, and open reflex sights.

[​IMG]