The Firearms Forum banner

ruger charger into a mare's leg

Tags
ruger
14K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  WAYNE.T 
#1 · (Edited)
Any thoughts one where I would need to cut off the stock of a ruger 10/22 to make a Mare's leg type stock and it not be considered illegal SBR. Since the charger is a pistol, it is legal to use any kind of one handed stock that has the grip angling down below the barrel. I am not interested in circumventing any laws, just thought an old stock I have might be interesting to cut down into something without the lever. If I cut down the fron at the barrel band, the barrel will protrude about an inch.

http://maresleg.com/maresleg.htm

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-list.cfm?category=17

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-mares-leg.cfm

I would think that I would want to cut the "butt" of the gun at angle like the mare's legs as not to infer it is intended to place against ones shoulder. In fact, I would likely install a swivel in the end to allow for a single point sling.

Maybe even doing as this individual did. Just shorter like the mare's leg...

http://www.nylonrifles.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=437

My charger now

See less See more
#4 ·
If you start with a 10/22, then you will be making a Short Barreled Rifle, and it does not matter how short you cut it. You just gotta pay that 200 dollar tax and jump through the hoops.

If you start with a Charger, it is already a pistol, and you can do whatever you want to with it, as long as you do not put a shoulder stock on it. Doing that would make it a SBR, and again you need to do the 200 dollar tax and jump through the hoops.

#6 ·
Now you've got me confused.

Are you starting with a 10/22? That's a rifle, and it can be no shorter than 26 inches overall and have a barrel no shorter than 16 inches.

Are you starting with a Charger? That's a pistol. You can have a pistol as short or as long as you like. You can put a 6 foot long barrel on a pistol if that floats your boat, or have one that just barely clears the chamber. As long as you do not put a shoulder stock on it, it is a pistol.

#7 ·
What he is wanting to do is take a Ruger 10/22 stock, cut it down and fit it to a Ruger Charger pistol in a 'Mare's Leg' configuration. The problem is that if the stock looks to be designed to fire from the shoulder it might be considered a firearm under NFA.

My thought is that if the Ruger 10/22 stock is cut at the rear of the pistol grip he should be OK, but he should check with the FTB and get a written response.

#9 ·
Okay, now I got it.

My initial thought is, as long as you cut the shoulder stock off the rifle stock BEFORE you put the pistol in it, you should be fine.

But, since ATF is full of folks that make up their rules as they go along, it would certainly be better to get their take on it first. In writing, on ATF letterhead, with a real person's signature, not a phone call or an email.

#12 ·
if it started as a rifle it has to have a barrel 16" or longer
but if the receiver was regestered as a pistol it can be any length
this is how they word it
i have a sbr permit i got it for an ar with a 10.5" barrel $400.00 worth of uslessnes
and you cant sell it once you make it lots of regs on them

#13 · (Edited)
Hey tymbrewolf, Did you get started on your project? Love to see pics. I have the same desire myself... got the stock already and just have to get the Charger! :)

I figure cut the stock as far back as you can so that it has the "look" of a Mare's Leg (roughly copy Henry or the new Rossi) and cannot mistakenly be shouldered and you should be A-OK with the pencil pushers. If you really wanted to contact ATF to get their written description of what's legal for this pistol it may take a while but...

Inquiring Minds want to know!

BTW... what would you do about a sight? For the look I mean...

#19 · (Edited)
I have a brand new charger I would take 250.00 for shipped if anyone is interested.

#21 ·
Wow, tymbrewolf, that there sure is a purty pair ya got!

Have to ask why two? Do you sling one on each side and go Rambo-style and charge forward?

I really like the looks of that Blackhawk. Really nice setup. Would you keep the red-dot sight if you westernized it to a mare's leg?

#22 ·
tymbrewolf,

I was just playing around with Photoshop on how much to cut the rear off a 10/22 stock for a mare's leg Charger.

I realized that the amount of the shoulder stock cut may actually have a lot to do with how long the barrel sits from the receiver and front of the stock. It's a matter of aesthetics after all to have an even balanced look of a Mare's Leg.

#23 ·
Thanks DD!

Hey Dan! Thanks for sending me the Ruger Charger. :ya:

I finally had a chance to take it out to the range and put it through its paces. After kindly breaking in the barrel (clean, shoot, clean, shoot, clean, shoot, clean...) I really had some good 'ol fun blasting cans and moving targets down range just shooting from the hip. Indeed, increased FUN-Factor is the best way to describe the difference between this and a standard 10-22 rifle.

Mounting a proper pistol-scope or laser sight is next in the works. I'm sure it will prove as accurate as my old carbine up to 100 yards -which is all I ever really tried for with this little cartridge.

It will take some time for me to get around to cutting and working that old 10-22 wood stock I have in the garage for the Mare's Leg project. For the time being, I am glad the original stock feels so nice in the hand and the Ruger Charger is so darn fun to plink with. :thumbsup:

#24 ·
Haven't been on here for a while. I have two chargers. One for myself and then got offered another one for a decent price so one for my son.

I got a response back from ATF in August. They said my project sounded legal but that they couldn't say for sure unless I sent them the project stock without a receiver for for a hands on evalutaion for official determination.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.