Ruger Color Case Finish questions....

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Tony Mig, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I'm shopping for a .45 Colt Vaquero, and I looked long and hard at a pair today. One was a 5.5", and the other a 7.5", both wearing the color case hardened / Blued finish. I find this finish quite nostalgic and appealing, but I've been told that the CCH part doesn't hold up.
    I'm hoping to hear from the Vaquero owners here who have the CCH/Blue finished guns, and tell me what the real deal is. I expect any blued gun to show wear after a while, especially holster wear, but what's the deal with the CCH part of the finish....does it wipe off with Hoppe's #9......?
  2. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

I can tell you that as someone who owns both and know a dozen shooters who use theirs for cowboy action, that I have not heard a single complaint about the bluing at all. They use leather holsters ,which are the most conducive to wear probably, and not a single complaint. I have the Bearcat, I have the birds grip and the classic Vaquero, and one is blued and the other stainless, I shoot the blued Bearcat and the blued Vaquero more than I do the stainless, and the bluing is perfect, although I use a plastic pistol case with that double waffle foam on the inside, I know that my friends that have leather holsters never complain about the bluing, in fact, I can vouch for that, because I make it a point to look at their revolvers. In the end, it boils down to the fact that Ruger makes a fine product with a lifetime warranty, I think you may have to wait 10 years before you notice anything, also, I have a 10/22 with a standard wood stock and blued barrel, and I have not had any problems there also, so I think Ruger's bluing process is solid, I think what you may have heard was urgan legend or someone who really knows how to beat up the barrel. I am also assuming that when you say "Colt" Vaquero, you are talking about Ruger as well.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  3. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

I believe the question was about the case colors on the frame.

Ruger's case colors are fairly sturdy. Treat the frame as you would any other steel part. Apply a light coat of rust preventative oil after cleaning and you should be OK. Hoppe's will not harm the finish.
  4. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I'am reffering to a Ruger Vaquero, chambered in .45 Colt.

I've heard from several folks who claim that Ruger's CCH finish isn't true color case hardening, and that it fades, or wears off in short order. I happen to like the look every bit as much as the polished stainless, but I'm concerned that the brightly polished stainless, on a sunny day, will cause some sighting difficulties.

I do preffer stainless for it's ease of maintance, and since I live on a penninsula surrounded by salt water, and the humidity is always very high, the stainless would be the smarter choice.....as long as I don't go blind shooting it....
  5. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

I also live in a very humid environment. (Florida), and have not experienced any challenges that you speak of. I own both the blued and the stainless. I've owned them for about a year now. The blued a little bit longer, (about 18mo), so I would not worry if I were you. Ruger makes exceptional products and the bluing is well done.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  6. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I decided.....

Called the gun shop today, and they are holding the 5.5" stainless Vaquero for me. I also ordered a Winchester model 94 "Trails End" in .38/.357 magnum, that'll be in on Friday, and assuming everything does as planned, I'll be picking up both guns, and a bunch of reloading supplies on Saturday morning....

All I'll need now is a nice cowboy holster for my new six gun..... ;)