The Firearms Forum banner

Ruger Commander Out

Tags
ruger
2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  JLA 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Out of all the 1911s made, ruger isnt high on my list.....

#4 ·
Why would the capacity be one round less than the full-size? Don't commanders usually have the same length grip as a full-size? I'm also surprised that they didn't go with an aluminum frame, since commanders are often valued for their significantly lighter weight.
The standard 1911 mag is 7 rounds. The Commander uses the full sized frame. I don't understand the " one round less" comment.

There are plenty of 8 round aftermarket mags available which will give 8 +1 in a Commander sized 1911.

#5 ·
National Match, Gold Cup and a Commander in my gun box and every one of them take 7 round magazines. Me thinks Mr. Mike has been looking at all the ads for the 8 round magazines not knowing they are the Johnny come lately mags but he knows now. As or the guns I like the all steel thing and I won;t knock them till I have handled one and hopefully got to shoot one.

#7 ·
The standard 1911 mag is 7 rounds. The Commander uses the full sized frame. I don't understand the " one round less" comment.
I might be mistaken, but I THINK the Ruger webpage showed 8 rounds for their full-size 1911, vs 7 rounds for their commander-sized 1911 ... I just didn't understand why they would be different, if the frame grips were the same length.

#9 · (Edited)
Another problem I see here is that ruger has failed to properly supply the market with their full size 1911 yet, why would they announce another model when they havent been able to keep up with production on the first one? There isnt one single dealer supplier that has a single ruger 1911 in stock. I have only had one in my shop and that was because I went directly to rugers top sales guy and complained I had customers wanting one. Reminds me of kel tec and their pmr-30. I would probably go with a desert eagle commander over this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.