Ruger....definately my favorite revolver!!

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by tex45acp, Jun 11, 2006.

1. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

Well I was in Houston yesterday and stopped by a gunstore I had never seen before. I was wandering through when there in the case was a SP-101 with a 3" barrel. I had been looking for such a gun since my wife adopted my 2" hammerless version of the SP-101 as her own. I always liked to carry the 2" to the place we have in the country. Now with the 3", I can get a bit more velocity from the round and a bit longer sight radius. Paid $400.00 new in box so I was pretty happy. I plan to dehorn it and change to a good set of wood grips and carry it concealed from time to time. This is my 5th Ruger revolver.

Others include:
    SP-101 hammerless DAO
    Stainless Redhawk in .357mag 5.5" barrel
    Stainless Redhawk in .41mag 5.5" barrel
    Stainless Redhawk in .41mag 7.5" barrel and 2X Leupold Scope
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

My SP is the 2 1/4 inch barrel.
    Put Hogue grips on it.
    I like it a LOT.
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Sounds like a good Deal. Post us some pics when you get that baby done.:)
  4. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

I love my GP100. looking @ a Security Six, now it looks even better..
  5. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

Here is the family. The second from the bottom is the new 3" SP-101.

[​IMG]
  6. It's hard to beat the Rugers, tex. I too have a GP-100 but mine sports a six inch barrel.
  7. stash247

stash247 New Member

At the risk of being labeled a 'highjacker', I will offer the information that Smith and Wesson has offered such a weapon, the M36- whatever, in a five shot, 3", revolver since almost forever.
    If five won't do, six won't matter!
    I own prolly half a dozen, of the type, and, when they rattle, people listen.
    Sad fact is, nobody seems to like 3"', and 5'", guns! Their loss. I'll buy all I can find, if reasonable, in price!
  8. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

They look nice Tex.
  9. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Always wanted a 5" Smith 357....... :rolleyes:
  10. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 New Member

hmm, maybe i just held an oddball but i check out a gp100 when i was looking around for a .357 and didn't care for it much...just didn't feel as nice as the smiths or the colt i ended up buying

i think a friend of mine wants one though, maybe i'll try his out if he does
  11. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

My buddy has a 6" GP100 and it is super sweet. I miss my S&W 6" 686 that I sold years ago. I have always loved .357 mags. The only one I have now is a blackhawk. Before a certain #$%^&* broke in and stole 13 of my guns 10 years ago, I had a S&W model 19 2", an old Hawes 6" SAA tack driver, and a Desert Eagle all chambered in .357 mag.
  12. IBFrank

IBFrank New Member

My GP-100 is a fixed sight, blued, 4" bbl. beauty. Accurate and powerful. Super sweet SA trigger and decent DA, too. The SPs are just as good, only smaller.
    Love them Rugers! Couldda/shouldda bought the 2" SP when I had the chance. Wish Ruger would make a better copy of a Makarov or Polish P-64.
  13. lowcountry_gunsmith

lowcountry_gunsmith New Member

I luv Rugers too, to many to list but favorites are 1973 first run 45 lc /45acp
    7 1/2 inch convertiable / and a 2005 super redhawk with 2.5x30 scope 44 mag 9 1/2 inch
  14. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I decided to dehorn this gun for carry. I also plan to send it to Gemini Customs to have it beadblasted to a matte finish. I have also had a hard time finding a IWB holster that did not have to be ordered and then have to wait umpteen weeks to get it in. Found one last Friday in Houston at Collectors Firearms. Its a Tucker Heritage made gor a 4" S&W J Frame. It fits perfectly Here are some pics:
    Most revolvers have terrible hammer spurs for carry. They can snag and even tear clothing. Ruger revolvers are the worst. I fixed mine to prevent both by rounding the squared end, chamfering the edges of the checkering, and radiusing all other edges:
    [​IMG]

Then I radiused the frame especially aroung the trigger guard, inside & out, top and bottom:
    [​IMG]

I also radiused the edges of the trigger and cylinder face and cutouts:
    [​IMG]

And lets not forget the barrel:
    [​IMG]

Then there is the holster.....I wore it all day Sunday and at work all day Monday and man is it comfortable:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A little more polishing to make sure all radius' are even then off to Gemini for the rest of the transformation.
  15. HadEmAll

HadEmAll New Member

I'm with you Tex45acp. After having every S&W revolvers and both Colts go out time after only a few thousand, (sometimes only a few hundred) rounds, I've gone to Rugers for ruggedness. They are definitely built tougher. I have a 4" GP100 and 2 SP101s, one a 2" and one a 3". Love it knowing that they will hold up to all the full powered rounds I feel like putting through them.
  16. stash247

stash247 New Member

My elder daughter carries on of my SP101's, no hammer spur, and slimmed up.
    I feel like she is one of the safest ladies on the planet.
    I ran over a thousand rounds thru the gun, with no problems, and did so, prior to delivery, because it's fun to shoot.
    The revolver is too heavy, for my personal taste, but indestructible, IMHO.