Ruger GP-100 in .327FM

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Bindernut, May 7, 2010.

1. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Apparently this is a new model for 2010. Anyone have one yet or is thinking about picking one up?

Saw a 4" (actually four and a quarter) GP100 in .327 at the local Scheels store yesterday. Seven shot cylinder and adjustable sights. A bit bigger than I want for a fishing pistol but still a nice rig!

I'm kinda disappointed by seeing it though. It pretty much anchors in my mind that Ruger has no plans to bring back the 4" tube on the SP101 for the little .32s.
    Yes, I still miss my 4" SP in .32H&R! Now I've got to decide if I want to settle for the 3" SP or go with the 4" GP...
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

mark my words the 327 will go the way of the 45 gap, the 9mm federal, the 357 max,the 10mm, and the 41 mag. yes all great calibers but over shadowed or obsolete .the 327 is a solution to a problem that didn't exsist. american shooters are traditionalists and love our old standards the 38, the 357mag, the 44 mag and the 45acp with a strong mention to the 9mm and 45 colt. if we as shooter embraced odd ball or new calibers the 9 mm makarov would out sell the 380 , better round same size pistol or how about the 7.62x25 tokarev round way hotter than the 9mm on par with a 357 mag but yet it's shunned or deemed unworthy. all this above mentioned "oddball calibers" started off with great intentions and on the surface seemed like a great idea but slowly slip out of the public eye
  3. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

People here seem to think it is gonna stick around.
    Being able to shoot any 32 caliber round out of it is a plus.

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=76521

I actually started that thread because the 3" SP101 is going to be my next revolver purchase.
    The power it puts out, the extra round in the cylinder, and the lower recoil all make it look like a great carry gun.

Now if only a few more companies would start making them. (come on Hornady, give us some critical defense rounds)

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  4. gaowlpoop

gaowlpoop New Member

I fully agree with oscarmayer.
  5. Bindernut

OM,
    People said that about the .32H&R too...and for the most part they were right. It's not a common caliber but it's still around.
    Besides, I kinda like oddball cartridges. Otherwise I wouldn't have three 6.5Swedes, one 6.5RemMag, a .25-06, and a 7.65 Arg. Mauser in my cabinet....they'd all be .270 or .30-06.

For small game, those little .32 centerfires are hard to beat. That's why I bought my .32Mag SP in the first place and that's why I'm looking for another similar. It's a niche cartridge...but it's also a niche that I fall into.
    What I buy can be .32-20, .32Mag, .327Mag...I'm not fussy since it'll be handloaded with .32-20/.32Mag level cast loads anyway. The used market has very few of em so I'm glad to see another choice out there on the new market.
    So, out of those three rounds, which one is available in a new, good quality small game hunting pistol? That pretty much wobbles it down to the .327.
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

+1

I'm curious to know if either OM or GApellet have shot the .327 yet? I'm always a firm believer in "to each his own", but before I say "mark my words" or "fully agree", I had better know first hand. The 327 could very well head off into obscurity, but not around my place. Everyone at the weekend get together got to shoot mine and if anyone wants to try it at the next NE TX get-together, they're more than welcome. Don't knock it til ya try it.
  7. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

The biggest problem with the 327 right now is the availability of ammo. I have seen several threads on another forum moaning about not being able to get ammo. I am starting to see more manufacturers picking up the caliber like Charter, Taurus and S&W and with Ruger expanding the line I think it will be around for a while. The only hang up could be if ammo companies don't get their act together.
  8. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

Personally I want the new 8 shot 327 FM Blackhawk

That's got my interest!
  9. guns4life

guns4life New Member

the 357 is just a longer 38 like the 327 is a longer 32 and it is still very popular like the 44mag and thre 44 spcl
    Last edited: May 8, 2010
  10. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

my "mark my words " remark was based on opinion only. and i too like odd caliber guns, with two of my favorites being a 38 super and a 7.62x25 tokarev. i think the fact any 32 will fire out of it wil enhance it's popularity . just like the 357 max did . ok that was a cheap shot but my point though it's only an opinion is we as shooters in america are traditionalist and though some may like the favor of the week ie the 327 i see it as another attempt to re-invent the wheel. and for the record i own a 357 max. a 41 ae, and a 9mm federal. so you see i have a thing for the lastest "new and improved" . now i must run and see if my local gun store has found a place to get 356tsw ammo for my smith and wesson
  11. Bindernut

No prob OM,
    I've got a GP100 in .357 (well, I did until my mom latched onto it for her calving season coyote medicine) and I used to have an SP101 in .32H&R. Both of em are/were great...
    I happened to see that GP in .327 and it really grabbed my attention, thus me asking about that particular combination and not just the .327 in general.

I've got skinny mitts and the SP with a Hogue monogrip fits my hand perfectly...the GP fits okay too, but is a bit bigger than I like to carry around while fishing and just lurking around the farm.

Pretty sure I'm not gonna get my wish, but one of these in .32 (or .327) is what I'm really looking for......
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  12. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

I've been giving some thought to the new revolvers from Ruger. I have an SP101 3" in 327 Fed and like it a lot. My wife likes it as well. It is nice to shoot lower power loads from it, but a number of caliber combinations will do that as well. An 8 shot Blackhawk would be fun. And so would the 7 shot GP - some many guns, so little cash...

The more guns are built for this caliber, the more attention it will get. Having more ammo available would help a bunch. I have the dies but haven't started reloading for it yet.
  13. Sandman

Sandman New Member

I agree. I really like the versatility. 6 rounds in a compact revolver for concealed carry, vs. 5 in the .38/.357 platform. Penetration test results have been very good as well. On par with the .38 and superior to the .380 / 9mm, etc. if I remember right. And the ability to shoot any of the lighter .32's for the wife or for practice / play time is great.

I would also like a 4" SP101 in the .327. I think that would be great. Ammo selection is limited here, but Cabelas (only place I have checked) always has the .327 ammo in stock, which is more than I can say for any other handgun caliber.
  14. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

I'd like to see a lever action rifle...
  15. Sandman

Sandman New Member

Now that would be nice! A combo of the 8 shot blackhawk with a leveraction rifle!