The Firearms Forum banner

Ruger LCP and Hollow Points

Tags
ruger
4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  RJay 
#1 ·
What is your thoughts on the LCP and shooting hollow points. I read that with a short barrel that there is not enough velocity to make the HP function properly, is this true? What type of ammo would you recommend?

#3 ·
I've heard of jacket separation in Buffalo Bore 380 +P but that was awhile back so I would think they have that resolved by now. The 380 also tended to be stopped by ribs but that might be old data by now. But if you alternate the 380 +p in JHP and HCN, you should get more bang for the effectiveness. The HCN can give you thru-thru pending on where they hit. The 380 HCN will do better on the pelvis than JHP. Really important to make sure your specific gun will support +P ammo.
-
Get some electronic shooters powered ear protection for the house. Gives you super hearing and you won't be left with hearing issues if you have to shoot indoors. Leave them next to the gun and be sure to change the batteries on occasion for peak hearing ability.

#5 ·
Just about everything I've read, and seen, tells me that .380 Critical Defense will open up. It's designed to do so in the .380 pistols with short barrels. Also from everything I've read, and seen, HP ammo that does expand will give you about 10" of penetration, and Ball ammo will give you about 14" of penetration. Like Drymag said alternate the HP, and JRN bullets in the gun. Best of both choices.

#8 ·
Actually I got the idea form a former member we'll just call jack. I started looking around online to see what kind of performance I could expect from the .380, and bingo! It made sense to me too! The wife usually has the LCP with her, it's her gun, but I also have a .380, a Taurus PT 58 HC PLUS, it holds 21 rounds of .380. While the .380 is a minimum cartridge for SD, 21 rounds of anything will stop a lot of stuff! With a 3 1/4 barrel, it should handle the ammo made for the shorter barrels better.

Attachments

#9 ·
I have always carried mixed hollow points and solid points in my small guns. I like glassers and carry three of those and 3 solid s in my Kel Tec, no, I'm from the old school and do not carry one in the chamber. Right or wrong that is my decision based on my life time of experience. I can not conceive of a situation where I would not have time to chamber a round and where I would need more than 6 rounds ( however I do carry a spare magazine in a Hedley pocket pouch. ) However that is me, and others may not agree, that is why they make different flavors of ice cream ( but why they make anything other than coffee and black walnut is a mystery to me ).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.