The Firearms Forum banner

Ruger LCP - Kel Tec P3AT - Other

Tags
ruger
5K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  BillM 
#1 ·
I am in the market for a mouse gun. I have been carrying a small J-frame for years with a pocket holster, but the heat this summer has me looking for something smaller. I have been wearing very light clothing and the revolver is all of a sudden feeling a little heavy/bulky.

I have been looking at the various mouse guns out there and have found the Ruger LCP and Kel Tec P3AT to be good candidates for my front pocket carry.

Please comment with a preference between these two or suggest another. I am interested in your experiences. I am looking to go with .380 in whatever I buy.

Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
I have been pocket carrying a Kel-Tec P3AT in a DeSantis Nemisis holster for several years now in the Florida heat. In most any pocket of cargo shorts, it is very comfortable and completely hidden. The leather holster and the thinness of the gun makes it nearly impossible to print.
I had some reservations prior to actually purchasing the P3AT because of the mixed reviews regarding its reliability. My own experience at the range has been 100% problem free with a variety of different ammo. While definitely not a range gun, it needs to be shot to break it in, test its reliability and learn to handle it properly. More than a few clips will result in a sore thumb from its sharp re-coil. You need to overcome a tendency to limp wrist it to ease the re-coil. Limp wristing will definitely lead to fte's or ftf's. I also ordered the new higher capacity mag. recently available from Kel-Tec. It gives it a more solid feeling grip at the expense of a slightly wider profile. I guess I could carry with the stock mag. and carry the higher cap. one as a spare. I gather from my research that Kel-Tec factory service is excellent with a lifetime guarantee. As yet I have zero problems. The longer and heavier trigger pull that many complain about doesn't seem to be an issue with me and it gives me a more secure feeling when pocket carrying not having to worry about AD, that concerns me when carrying my Glock 26.
I have previously limited my collection of .380's to my P3AT and a Walther PPK in because of the limited availability of ammo. Recently, however, I have been finding all that I want.
My only real concern is the stopping power of the .380. I would love to find a more potent round in a equally concealable gun, say a .9mm or .45.

#3 ·
there is no difference between the kel-tec p3at and the ruger LCP. They are the same piece of chocolate in two different wrappers;)

As for preference, i prefer to spend less money for the same thing, so id go with the kel-tec...:)

#4 ·
Also. If youre looking for a top o the line .380 that will carry nice and shoot great look into a CZ 83. They are THE best .380 made today

#7 · (Edited)
there is no difference between the kel-tec p3at and the ruger LCP. They are the same piece of chocolate in two different wrappers;)

As for preference, i prefer to spend less money for the same thing, so id go with the kel-tec...:)
Actually, I have to disagree a bit with that assessment. I own the Kel-Tec P3AT and have since 5/05. I love the little gun and carry it everywhere I'm allowed if I can't conceal a larger pistol in my attire for the day. ;) It's an excellent little mouse gun and functions flawlessly with the right ammo. It is a bit ammo sensitive. For instance, Siver Tips work flawlessly while Hornady Critical defense will not eject properly. I don't know why but you do need to find the right ammo for the gun. It also has a break-in period to loosen up the slide. Once broken in with the right ammo in hand you won't be disappointed.

With that said, the Ruger has a better surface finish, is more ergonomic in handling and most importantly holds the slide open on the last shot; the P3AT does not. This could be a VERY important feature in the event that you need to rapidly chamber a round from a fresh magazine. That one feature is the reason I've considered purchasing an LCP to replace the P3AT. I know 6 folks who own the LCP and really love them. I don't think you could go wrong dropping the extra $50-60 on the LCP. :)

#8 ·
I own a Kel Tec 3AT. My brother had the same dilemma when he wanted to purchase a gun like mine. Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that the Kel Tec's are rated for +p ammo. The Ruger's are not. By the way I am very happy with mine, seems to shoot everything I feed it so far.

#9 ·
They have both had their problems and both had their recalls, but, if you follow the break-in advice given by Gun Geezer you should be just fine. These little guns either like, or don't like certain ammo, so try several brands and loads until you get the results you want. Either one is going to be a handful with +Ps.

#10 · (Edited)
I own a Kel Tec 3AT. My brother had the same dilemma when he wanted to purchase a gun like mine. Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that the Kel Tec's are rated for +p ammo. The Ruger's are not. By the way I am very happy with mine, seems to shoot everything I feed it so far.
I don't believe that there's a SAAMI specification for +P in a .380 ACP load. Some manufacturers such as Cor-Bon offer ammo that is rated to 20 ft.-lbs. (220 total ft.-lbs. to be exact versus others at 200 ft.-lbs.) more than other defensive ammo manufacturers but I wouldn't call it "+P" because there is no SAAMI spec for +P in .380 ACP. Simply put, it's a hot load. With that said, I've been dumb enough to shoot the Cor-Bon stuff in my P3AT and it was not a pleasurable experience. The muzzle flip was so harsh that it ended up spraining something in my trigger finger as the muzzle and trigger guard flipped upwards and pushed my finger up in an awkward motion. I'd have to question how much benefit any hot load in .380 ACP would provide when shot out of a 2.5" barrel as well. It's not likely to increase anything but muzzle flip and flash given the short distance for expansion.

Given the relatively thin barrels of both the Kel-Tec and Ruger I wouldn't recommend repeating my experiment with either gun. :eek: Regular self-defense ammo should work just fine. ;)

#11 ·
Let me go in a different direction. I bought a Ruger LCR this spring and have pocket carried all summer. At 13 1/2 oz empty it isn't a burden for me to carry and stoked with Buffalo Bore 158 g LSWCHP-GC 38Spl +P's it gives me a good sd load to carry and is only 4 1/2 oz heavier than the LCP.

#12 · (Edited)
Let me go in a different direction. I bought a Ruger LCR this spring and have pocket carried all summer. At 13 1/2 oz empty it isn't a burden for me to carry and stoked with Buffalo Bore 158 g LSWCHP-GC 38Spl +P's it gives me a good sd load to carry and is only 4 1/2 oz heavier than the LCP.
The LCR is essentially a bit lighter J Frame Terry P, which the original poster was trying to get away from... Besides that, an LCP or P3AT is INFINITELY more concealable than a J Frame revolver... :D

#14 ·
The Ruger LCP does NOT lock the slide back on the last shot. It has a MANUAL hold open.
Well Bill, I've seen you looking at the thread for about 7 hours. Why wait until now to drop the bomb?....But if that's the case you're essentially correct along with others that the Ruger is an equally attractive proposition. :rolleyes:

#17 ·
Also. If youre looking for a top o the line .380 that will carry nice and shoot great look into a CZ 83. They are THE best .380 made today
AMEN... I've carried one for about 3 years now and have had it for 5. Accurate, very reliable, eats anything. I have some walnut aftermarket grips for it so its a little more comfortable for me but many people don't have a problem with stock grips. The only downfall is that it is heavy but with a good belt and holster (I have a gun glove) it easily slips on the back of my right hip. Can get in and out of the car w/o it jabbing or causing discomfort. Only issue is that it will print in lighter clothes but that is my grips. They have a flared bottom, original grips do not. Thats when I switch to my sig 238. I absolutely love the CZ83. Only thing that you may want to consider is bobbing the hammer. The spur can jab you if you leave the hammer down like me DA/SA gun. If you leave it cocked with the safety on then no issues.

#18 ·
Dang helix I forgot you carried one. put some pics up of it for the OP to see what a real .380 looks like;)

#19 ·
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

A few of you mentioned the CZ. It sure is nice, but I am looking for a .380 in the 10 oz. category.

I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Kel Tec, Ruger, and Taurus. I am going to have to hit a few stores to put my hands on each one before I finally decide.

Thanks again.

#21 ·
I don't particularly like to shoot the Kel-Tec or the Ruger either one. I have fairly large hands and LONG fingers. Frankly, with the small, thin grip of those pistols, I have a hard time getting the trigger pulled without my own thumb getting in the way of my trigger finger. If I HAVE to pull a gun and use it, I do NOT want to have to be wiggling my thumb around trying to make room for my trigger finger to move enough to drop the hammer.

#22 ·
The LCR is essentially a bit lighter J Frame Terry P, which the original poster was trying to get away from... Besides that, an LCP or P3AT is INFINITELY more concealable than a J Frame revolver... :D
What he said was it was feeling a little heavy/bulky. The LCP is 4 oz lighter and smaller granted but friends don't let friends carry mouseguns.:D

#23 ·
What he said was it was feeling a little heavy/bulky. The LCP is 4 oz lighter and smaller granted but friends don't let friends carry mouseguns.:D
Haha! ;):D

That J frame is far too bulky for my frame. I showed that in a thread a while back. See http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=67285

A J frame Airweight 642 .38 is still 16.6 oz. We're assuming that he has an Airweight but maybe not. That's 7.2 oz. more than the LCP at 9.4 oz.

The 340PD Airlight is only 13.6 oz. but it's an exotic J Frame in .357... That should hurt! :D

The P3AT is a really good option overall based on the above feedback that it does not have an automatic slide hold open. It's even lighter than the LCP.

No gun is useful if you won't be carrying it when the situation arises that it's needed... ;):D

#24 · (Edited)
The J-frame I am replacing for my pocket carry is made of carbon steel. Going to one of the 10 oz. 380s was my goal.

I visited a local shop that had the LCP, TCP, and Kel Tec in the case and was able to handle all three. I left the shop with the Ruger LCP.

I'll be running rounds through the LCP on my weekly visits to my local range to determine its readiness to replace the J-frame I currently pocket carry.

Thanks again for the responses.

Quick edit: I paid $299 NiB and it was made this year.

#26 ·
I checked out the Ruger & Kel-Tec and after reading numerous reviews and speaking with pepole that own them decided on a Kahr P380. It does cost more but in my mind worth the difference. I have had a Kahr CW9 for several years and it is a helluva pistol. That provided the final impetus to make the decision to purchase the P380.

There are firm and numerous endorsements for either, but the Kahr is what impressed me the most. It's a great shooter and doesn't beat your hand up even with hot loads. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.