Ruger LCP vs. Kahr P380

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Bubblehead, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would move to another state and buy whatever I wanted.
  2. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

Ditto, love my Bersa.
  3. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  4. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

They're also HUUUUUGE for concealed carry in a .380 platform and only cost $10-$25 less than the comparable caliber but much more concealable Kel-Tec P-3AT and Ruger LCP.

I own a Bersa Thunder .380 but will be the first to tell you that it's the most impractical carry gun of its class that I own.
  5. Uncle Mikey

Uncle Mikey New Member

I have both. I got the LCP when they first came out. There was a recall that I sent it back for. It had multiple failure to feeds. Got it back and it ran like a charm. About a year later I got the P380. It was worst that the LCP. I did the slide lock, insert mag, release slide routine. Still had problems. I sent it back to Kahr and so far its been ok with all but the flat nose stuff. It hates Buffalo Bore stuff. I hate that because they make some good +p ammo. I just load a Buffalo Bore 95 grain +P first then follow up with Critical Defense. In my experience the P380 is more accurate that the Ruger, has a trigger that feels close to a couple of S&W revolvers I have, and has way better sites. I put a set of XS big dot night sites on mine. They work better with my over 50 eyes. I got the Kahr 380 because I had the the PM9 Kahr which is one of my favorite pistols of the 9 or so
    I have. NEVER had a problem with it.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

For the price I'd go with the ruger too. Kahr's are a nice design with a nice trigger but after 800 rounds or so they start to have issues. Broken slide stop is real common but also broken trigger bars is close behind. Kahr says they will warranty them but I have yet to get anything free from them, they always have an excuse why they won't cover it and the prices for parts is high compared to the life span of them. The trigger on the LCP is the real killer on the accuracy. Once the trigger is shortened and lightened, grouping drops significantly. Smiths bodyguard is a good little gun but don't be tempted to buy it bc it has a laser on it. The laser is useless bc of its external push button switch. there is no pressure switch so you would have too tell the perp to wait while you turn on your laser.
  7. rogertc1

rogertc1 New Member

Get the Hi-Point...great gun for the money.
  8. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Listen to HelixFR (who is a working G-smith in a retail gunshop/range) relative to Kahr's durability problems and horrible warranty policies (their always finding "an excuse why they won't cover it"). {See other Kahr threads about their CS at TFF.}

I never recommend the purchase of any new Kahr; and do so for used Kahrs, only, if they are priced so low that one could buy it today and sell tomorrow for a significant profit.

Also, I agree with his remark about any laser unit that has to be manually "switched on". They will usually be useless in a violent confrontation. A Ruger LCP (or the Kel-Tec P3AT that the LCP is more expensively copied off of) fitted with a Crimson Trace (automatic "on" , when you grip the gun) laser unit makes an excellent, super compact, .380 ACP pocket pistol, tool of personal defense.

Helix is correct about the LCP trigger being excessively heavy and long for target shooting. However, is was not designed as a target pistol; and one can learn to use its less than desirable trigger; especially when used with the CT laser unit.

HTH
  9. Charles Christensen

Charles Christensen New Member

Well, if you do manage to get an LCP I would suggest you get a set of replacement recoil and firing pin springs from Wolff Gunsprings. I saw some article that told about them and said that a heavier recoil spring set helped with felt recoil. I got all the springs and have installed them but have not been out to test it yet. I have put about 50 rounds through it in out-of-the-box form without the slightest problem. I suppose it don't get no better than that.
  10. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

EXACTLY...I spent a summer in Cali in 1986 with my Uncle outside of LA and I swear it was like living in a prison.
  11. Mr_Shamrock

Mr_Shamrock New Member

I have had Kahr's and currently carry an LCP. I was happy with the Kahr's, but for me the LCP is just an absolutely perfect carry weapon. I have 400 plus rounds through it without a single hiccup. I just got the Hogue grips today and can't wait to get back to the range...

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  12. RysingPhynix

RysingPhynix New Member

I'm about to buy one of these two pistols and was targeting the Kahr because it welcomes P+ rounds. the LCP states boldly not to fire P+ and other hot loads. No?? With the .380 being so small for real world defense, it makes sense that one needs the most stopping power as possible. Even the 9mm is considered small in many cases.
    I'll admit the Ruger is more comfortable in the hand, less expensive and good rep. And its definitely disappointing to hear Kahrs have longevity issues.
    However, a pocket pistol is to save my life. I'll only consider .380's that can regularly handle hotter loads. Any other pocket pistols that fit the bill??
  13. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Welcome to the forum! No matter which .380 you choose, look at the ammo you feed it for SD. Hornady makes a hollow point round called Critical Defence, it is guaranteed to mushroom every time. But it will give you only about 10" of penitration. Solids, or ball ammo, will give you about 14" of penitration. Jack404, one of our members from Australia, recomends staggering the HP rounds, with the solids. That's the way I load my .380's, and .38's.
  14. RysingPhynix

RysingPhynix New Member

Thx for reply. I'm familiar with different ammo, just not the two guns in this forum. LCP not ok with P+?? Kahr is? What I'm seeing from this chat is the kahr is better built for hotter loads, better trigger (which is huge); but its more $$ and isn't meant to be fired all the time. I doubt this size gun is meant for daily range days. I'm looking far and wide for another option to the Kahr.... Thx
  15. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

There is not saami rated 380 +P load so don't say kahr said is fine. There are some loads that use a different blend of powders to get a increase in performance and use a +p as advertizeing gimick.

I am a big kahr a carrier of kahr 9mm pistols but there 380 as of yet is not a fully dependable pistol. I went with the taurus tcp. Same weight as the kahr but with a better trigger by far than the rest of the micro pistols for price compairable or less than the ruger and kt depending on model . Also seems to care less what ammo is used.