Ruger LCP vs. Kahr P380

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Bubblehead, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Mr_Shamrock

Mr_Shamrock New Member

I have had Kahr's and currently carry an LCP. I was happy with the Kahr's, but for me the LCP is just an absolutely perfect carry weapon. I have 400 plus rounds through it without a single hiccup. I just got the Hogue grips today and can't wait to get back to the range...

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  2. RysingPhynix

RysingPhynix New Member

I'm about to buy one of these two pistols and was targeting the Kahr because it welcomes P+ rounds. the LCP states boldly not to fire P+ and other hot loads. No?? With the .380 being so small for real world defense, it makes sense that one needs the most stopping power as possible. Even the 9mm is considered small in many cases.
    I'll admit the Ruger is more comfortable in the hand, less expensive and good rep. And its definitely disappointing to hear Kahrs have longevity issues.
    However, a pocket pistol is to save my life. I'll only consider .380's that can regularly handle hotter loads. Any other pocket pistols that fit the bill??
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Welcome to the forum! No matter which .380 you choose, look at the ammo you feed it for SD. Hornady makes a hollow point round called Critical Defence, it is guaranteed to mushroom every time. But it will give you only about 10" of penitration. Solids, or ball ammo, will give you about 14" of penitration. Jack404, one of our members from Australia, recomends staggering the HP rounds, with the solids. That's the way I load my .380's, and .38's.
  4. RysingPhynix

RysingPhynix New Member

Thx for reply. I'm familiar with different ammo, just not the two guns in this forum. LCP not ok with P+?? Kahr is? What I'm seeing from this chat is the kahr is better built for hotter loads, better trigger (which is huge); but its more $$ and isn't meant to be fired all the time. I doubt this size gun is meant for daily range days. I'm looking far and wide for another option to the Kahr.... Thx
  5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

There is not saami rated 380 +P load so don't say kahr said is fine. There are some loads that use a different blend of powders to get a increase in performance and use a +p as advertizeing gimick.

I am a big kahr a carrier of kahr 9mm pistols but there 380 as of yet is not a fully dependable pistol. I went with the taurus tcp. Same weight as the kahr but with a better trigger by far than the rest of the micro pistols for price compairable or less than the ruger and kt depending on model . Also seems to care less what ammo is used.