ruger lcp

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by 21bravo, Oct 30, 2008.

1. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

i recently got the chance to handle a new ruger lcp .380 at a promotion sell at a local gun store. i was told the wait peroid is up to at least a year and a half because demand is so high. im just curious if anyone has had a chance to actually fire the weapon and can honestly give me the pros and cons of the pistol.
  2. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

A buddy at work bought one a few months ago, and recently got another call from a waiting list he was on for another one... He didn't buy the second one.

My comments are that the gun is VERY, VERY similar to the Kel-Tec P3AT. The Ruger has a nicer finish and more ergonomic grip but an ergonomic grip is not always conducive to higher concealability. The guy I know likes the gun and has fired it a good bit. He didn't explain the break-in troubles that I had with my Kel-Tec until about 200 rounds. But, after my break-in of the Kel-Tec I've had no trouble. I think the break-in of the Kel-Tec involved loosening up of the slide spring which was ridiculous at first and now very bearable.

If you want a good pocket pistol, quickly, then the Kel-Tec will fit the bill. If you want the LCP, you're getting a comparable pistol to the Kel-Tec but expect to wait a long while. My buddy found more luck with finding the LCP at lower-volume gun stores. Good luck!
  3. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

ive looked at a kel-tek pf9 and can see the similarities....i am in the market for a good cch pistol and was just curious. in my opinion the .380 or even 9 mil is a bit small and lacks the stopping power i desire. however, im willing to give anything a chance as long as its affordable, relatively cheap to shoot and i can put a lot of rounds down range in a short time if need be.
  4. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

My buddy got a recall notice on the LCP yesterday. It seems he has to send it back to Ruger because of the potential of accidental discharge if it's dropped. Go with the Kel-Tec P3AT... The PF9 is a nicely sized gun but still not something I'd drop in my pocket when I walk out the door like I would with the P3AT. If you can't easily carry the gun, you might as well not have one because you likely won't have it with you when it matters. That's just my simplistic opinion on the matter.
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I own one of the Kel-tec .380s and have compared it side by side with the LCP at my local gun shop. The difference is so slight that at a short distance you can't tell the difference. I suggest you go with the kel-tec, pretty much the same gun but a huge difference in price!
  6. conan1

conan1 New Member

How much is the Keltec 3AT? I gave $301 out the door for my LCP. Don't mind sending it back for upgrades including mag extension. It does like the Rem Golden Sabres.
    Ed
  7. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I've seen P-3ATs marked at $259, but never less than that.

My guess is that you could get a Kel-tec with a chrome slide ($289) for about the same as the cheapest you'll find an LCP.
  8. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

And with no recalls, lighter weight, and less printing...
  9. bobkk

bobkk Member

Had mine a couple weeks. Only shot it 50 times. Shoots and functions
    good. Mine is on the recall list. Ruger pays for the shipping both ways.
    Also will give you a free magazine for your trouble. Think that's good service.
  10. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I won't say anything bad about a Ruger as I own many but I wouldn't use a 380 as a CCW. I have an SP101 for carry but if I were to look at an auto it would be a Springfield XD Sub-Compact in 40 S&W or a Compact in 45 ACP. Just my prejudices against mouse guns they are compact and easy to carry but I feel they lack stopping power when you need it.
  11. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

I had a P3AT And it ran very good. Sold it and picked up the Ruger. I would rather have the Kel-Tec back. Nothing wrong with the Ruger, it's going back for the re-call, I just preferred the KT.
  12. HowardCohodas

HowardCohodas New Member

The "wait period" that has been circulated is confused with the backlog due to orders from distributors. Ruger received orders for 87,000 at it's debut at the Shot show in January. Ruger had planed on first year production of 30,000. They added capacity and hired 49 additional people for LCP production. Once the parts associated with the recall are up to production you will find Ruger resume their production rate of one every 52 seconds and retailers will again have them available. The do go quickly when retailers get them because it is so popular.

I have one and enjoy shooting it. I don't find it kicking any more than my M&P 45c. Since adding the Crimson Trace LaserGuard I find it bites a bit more because I have to grip it harder to keep my finger from slipping off the laser button.

I added a florescent dot from Nitesiters to the front sight to make it easier to see. Although I believe that any fight with an LCP will probably not result in use of the front sight, I like to see it for target shooting out of habit.

I carry it in my weak side front pocket in a DeSantis Super Fly holster. Much more information is available at the forum devoted exclusively to the LCP. See my signature.

[​IMG]
  13. HowardCohodas

HowardCohodas New Member

Much of the similarity, I believe, relates mostly to the physics of building a mechanical system to shoot a 380. Also, the safety requirements of modern firing mechanisms dictate some similarity.

The fit and finish of the LCP is superior to the P-3AT. It is also a bit heavier and I believe Ruger has put that extra weight to good use regarding long term reliability.
  14. HowardCohodas

HowardCohodas New Member

I too share your concern. Perhaps the newly announced ammo from Hornady may change our minds regarding the effectiveness of the 380 auto being effective self defense.

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=786
  15. HowardCohodas

HowardCohodas New Member

The recall was voluntary and due to an abundance of caution from only a few reports of accidental discharge from dropping on a hard surface. I don't know how these reports are vetted and am suspicious. Ruger found a way to add safety to that circumstance, thus the engineered improvements and the recall. I'm confident in my LCP now, and will be confident when it returns from recall processing.
  16. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

Yes, building a system to shoot the .380 involves a slide, barrel, frame and magazine. Other than that, there is quite a bit of leeway as to design. The LCP is a copy of the Keltec-pure and simple.
    The extra weight is in the slide, and if anything it will batter the aluminum frame quicker than the Keltec.
    The exterior finish is nicer, but the interior finish is about the same on both guns. Ruger was smart-they saw a "diamond in the rough" with the Keltec design-and made it look nicer. Add a little weight, and the buying public thinks "quality."
  17. jdunmyer

jdunmyer New Member

It took about 6 weeks for Cabela's to get my LCP, a buddy had to wait about a month for a local gun store to get his. I waited nearly 5 months for a local store to get one; they called a couple of days after Cabela's.

I've shot mine a couple hundred rounds or so, using every kind of ammo I could find on the shelf. No problems with any of it.

Although Uncle Mikes calls for a #2 for the LCP, I'm using the #3 that I've been carrying a S&W 360 Sc in, the #2 seems a bit too tight. Drawing from the pocket (with the U.M. #2) usually means drawing the holster with the pistol, something that's less than desireable. Keeping the LCP in the holster right by the door means that when I walk out, I grab it and my car keys and go, always armed. Like most, I'd rather carry a M1911, but most people who claim to carry them are unarmed when we're chatting.

Regarding the Kel-Tec vs. LCP: I know a couple of guys with the Kel-Tec and they're quite happy with them. They also admit that the LCP seems to be a bit better finished. For myself, the slide lock was a factor; I believe the Kel-Tec doesn't have one.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  18. HowardCohodas

HowardCohodas New Member

Although I work with mechanical engineers, I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable to appreciate the things you categorize as "quite a bit of leeway." I'd appreciated a little education if you are willing to take the time. Thanks.
  19. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

Howard
    There are lots of .380 pistol designs. To make a .380 that is as small as a Keltec, you basically have to copy a Keltec-or do a LOT of R&D on a new design.
    There are blowback .380s and locked breech .380s. There are small .380s and large .380s.
    Ruger simply took an extremely ingenious design (Keltec) and packaged it better, added a little weight, put their name on it, and is selling the hell out of them. They are mechanically no better, or worse, than the Keltec. But the PERCEPTION that they MUST be better is there. After all they are a Ruger, they look better, and they are heavier! It's all marketing. There are many people who wouldn't touch a K/T (It feels cheap!) that think the Ruger is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  20. kendradad

kendradad New Member

There has been a LCP at the local gun store the last couple of weeks, have been in there twice in the last 2 weeks.

Davis guns Raleigh NC, they are on the internet if you want to get in touch with them.