Ruger LCR .357 and 38 Special +P

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Quisp, Jan 29, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Quisp

Quisp New Member

Dec 5, 2011
    St Louis, Missouri
    Today I went to Cabelas to pick up some dry rib rub and I walked out with a Ruger LCR .357 Mag. Normally they are more pricey than most online dealers but the got deal from Ruger and had a bunch of .357 and 38 SP +P LCR's.
    The .357 were only 399 bucks and the 38 SP +P were only 369 bucks. That is a heck of a deal and ever cheaper than Cheaper Than Dirt.
    So if you live near a Cabelas and are in the market you might want to check it out.
    The LCR is a good CCW piece because it is relatively thin and lightweight. I put it in my bellyband holster and wore a T-shirt and there was no bulge that could be seen. I will head to the range this week to see how it performs.

One Shot likes this.
  2. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    If you fire it with Magnum loads, please write about it here. I'd be very curious to know what that's like.

todd51 and One Shot like this.

3. brad87

brad87 Former Guest

Jul 31, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I was wanting to get my wife to handle one of those, but the local shop doesn't have any. She didn't like the weight of the SP101, so I was thinking about the LCR instead since its ~half the weight. I'd drop some lower end handloads in it to compensate for the recoil out of the tiny gun in her tiny hands, of course, but really thinking they way they tweaked the trigger pull on these would help too.

One Shot likes this.
  4. mesinge2

mesinge2 Active Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Central Florida

I really like my 357 LCR. It performs perfectly and although its ugly it does what it is supposed to do.

[​IMG]

Below is a target shot with ten 158 grain 357 magnum Fiocchi Extrema XTP loads at 7 yards:

[​IMG]

And the video will show the muzzle rise with Magnum loads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aIH8GB5gw0&feature=player_embedded

One Shot likes this.
  5. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    Damned if the closest one is in Louisiana. The only sporting store around here is Bass Pro Shoppes. Anyway, ya, that's a great deal, normally it's around $450-500, a piece, new.

One Shot likes this.
  6. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Wow that's a good deal. These are the real deal for a CC snub, light and smooth shooting. Have the 9mm, great gun!!

One Shot likes this.
  7. crystalphoto

crystalphoto Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Gilbert, SC
    ral, you know this thread is four years old? :(

howlnmad and One Shot like this.
  8. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2015
    LOL It just popped up:oops:

howlnmad, One Shot and crystalphoto like this.
  9. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2012
    NW Ohio
    Rib rub and a .357 Mag revolver, I totally get the connection.

howlnmad and One Shot like this.
  10. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    I chose the LCR in .357 mag also. It's the same size as the .38 +P & shoots the lighter loaded .38's which in that lightweight revolver translate to less felt recoil, important when you're old & have RA.

howlnmad likes this.
  11. ShootistPRS

ShootistPRS Well-Known Member

Keep a watch on the bottom of the frame where the crane hides the barrel connection. The light frame cracks where it is the thinnest. The aluminum alloy fatigues and fails through the threads along the barrel. I have personally seen two of the LCRs with cracks that are hidden by the crane when the cylinder is closed. Both guns had used only 38 special factory loads. Keep an eye on it.

12. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2015
    The 38, 22lr and 22mag use aluminum. The 357, 9mm and 327 fed use 400 SS. While there are a few reports of failures in the 38 models not more than some other light revolvers from the past. The 38 weighs 3.5 ounces less than the 357Mag, personally I'd opt for the 357 even if I was going to only shoot 38s. Stainless vs Aluminum....... At any rate IMO it's pretty unreasonable to expect a super light weight lcr to be as bullet proof:D as say a SP101. The LCR is what it is, a light reliable carry gun not a range gun intended to eat tens of thousands of nuclear specials.