The Firearms Forum banner

Ruger LCR vs S&W lightweight J Frame

Tags
ruger
9K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  BluewaterTactical 
#1 ·
Hi all,

After swearing off all my semi-autos when I got tired of clearing jams, baulky magazines, limp wristing, etc and not being comfortable or have the confidence carrying a semi, I want a good wheel gun for a CCW. Being from a small town, I can't really compare all the models I want to compare. I have a Ruger LCR but with the bulky rubber grips, it don't feel like I can hide it properly in a front pocket. The old S&W 36 with a small wooden handle would be great but the weight is a small problem. I recently saw (on the internet) the Lady Smith. It weighs only a few ounzes more than the LCR but I really like the small grip. Yep, the small grip is not handy for prolonged shooting secessions, but this is a carry weapon. If someone has both revolvers, can you give me a comparison on size and presentation.

Thanks,

tony

#2 ·
I've shot both and you'll find that the airweight S&W's are a more controllable than you think even with that narrower grip. I own a 642-1 and carry it everyday. I choose it over the LCR. LCR is a good gun but it is a little thicker. The ladysmith (642LS) is hard to find (not to mention even smaller grips) so you would be better suited finding the 642, 640 or 440. Or if you want even lighter than the LCR there is the 642 on the Scandium frame. Pricey but really really light. No its not for popping of 100 rounds on range day, they will wear you out.

#4 ·
I think JLA said it rather nicely. When the choice comes down to "S&W Revolver" vs. "Any Other Revolver", pick the Smith. You won't be sorry.

#6 ·
+1 for the S&W 642. It's what I carry when I go light and it is my usual back up. Drop it in your pocket wrapped in a DeSantis Nemesis and forget about it.

I also agree that this is not a fun gun to shoot alot. It will be an absolute terror with +P ammo. Your hand and fingers will not stand much of it. This is true with any compact, lightweight gun of man-stopping caliber. Just remember that these style guns are for concealed carry, personal protection....not plinking cans every weekend (but you can if you like the abuse:D)

I too have shot hundreds of rounds from both LCR and 642. The 642 just feels, operates and shoots better IMO. It's not a polymer-vs-metal thing (I carry a Glock daily), it's just personal preference.

You really need to find a range with rentals or find people with both so you can try them for yourself. Both are very good carry guns.

#9 · (Edited)
Ennh, It may not be a popular opinion, here, but....I went around to a couple LGS's and tried out the trigger on a few, both LCR's and S&W J-frames. I even tried a few Taurus ultra-light model 85's.
I liked the LCR the best. I couldn't find one in .357 mag. So, I got a .38 special. I really like the trigger.
My next buy, though, is going to be a .357 LCR.

When I got mine DSW & I went out on the hill to the target stand & put a box & a half of various .38 specials through it. It'll snap a little and sting some, after a box of shells. But it is an easy shooter, easy trigger, easy to hit with.
But, my regular EDC is a Ruger SP101, .357 mag. I carry the LCR, sometimes, when I dress up. Or, to drop in my pocket when I walk the 85 yards, down to the mailbox. I'm really content with my LCR.
Oh, DSW's regular EDC is a 9mm Keltec PF9. She's content with that.

#10 ·
Uh, yeah. Thats what I carry in mine, speer lawman +P. They do rattle your cage plus if your shooting at a indoor range, good lord its loud.
I got a 50rnd box of Remington 38spl+P HP for my 642. There are 40 rnds still in the box. I shot 5, put 5 back in it and I was done.:D I can barely make it through a box of 50 standard pressure loads. Yea, it sounds like a much bigger gun than it really is with +P.....oh and the fireball:eek:....

#11 ·
I have to agree with Old John. I have a Taurus 357 snubbie, I sold a Colt Detective, a Charter Arms Undercover and a lightweightS&W (series escapes me, as does my memory) in favor of the LCR in 38spl. before the 357 came out. The trigger on the LCR is by far the best, the weight is the least and it's a right on target gun, great for close up work. I will eventually trade it off on a LCR 357. Of course I still prefer the security6 for a full size revolver but that's a different category.
Bg

#15 ·
First post here guys. I carry the LCR everyday and love it. I know when they came out witht he LCR in .357 they also came out with a "boot grip". So they have the hogue, boot grip, and cimson trace. I work part-time for an ambulance service on my days off from FD, and the thick hogue grip is a little bulky in my ankle holster, but it works for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.