ruger LCR

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by 21bravo, Jan 24, 2009.

1. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

im sure everybody knows about the ruger LCP .380 that was introduced last year...and that a batch of them was recalled. well, even with the recall the waiting list is still 6 to 7 months around here:eek: but at this years SHOT Show ruger introduced the LCR (light compact revolver) chambered in .38 spl +p.. i just thought id see what some of y'alls $0.02 is on this new 13.5 oz concealed carry revolver... right now its available in 2 models the one shown below and one with crimson trace laser grips

461L.jpg
  2. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

That's a pretty neat lookin' revolver. My only concern with revolvers is the width of the cylinder which is an instant indicator that you're carrying in your front pocket. I see that Ruger has somewhat masked the print of the cylinder by reducing the front diameter. That's a good idea... :D

On the note of the LCP, my uncle had been looking for one and I ran into a guy the other night who had two brand-new LCPs in stock. We went to pick it up today. The waiting lists my uncle had seen already were 200+ names long. After handling it a bit I'll admit that it feels better made than my Kel-Tec.
  3. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

when i first saw the lcp in pictures i didnt like it much..but when i actually got to hold one my mind was changed. im sure thats how it'd be with this new lcr...but if im gonna have a revolver id rather have a hammer on the back of mine....i know, i know...thats not practical for ccw use..its just my preference
  4. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

21bravo, I hope the LCR is prettier in person.

From the pictures I would say that is about the ugliest looking revolver I have ever seen. :eek:
  5. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

i have a friend that used to say "i dont give a damn if its pretty, as long as its functional." i personally wont have a gun that i dont find pleasing to the eye..and functional. i agree about this pistols looks..lets hope ruger doesnt start doin this with all their pistols:rolleyes:
  6. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Pretty guns are for displays. Functional guns are for carry. I'd sacrifice the looks of the gun if it saved mine or a family member's life. Just an opinion... :)
  7. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's fine and all, but at more than $100 over the price of a S&W 642 Airweight, I'll take the Smith.
  8. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I didn't realize the thing was polymer until I saw it on the cover of G&A yesterday. For that reason, I retract the good things I might have said about the gun until it's proven. Shooting a 13.5 oz. .38 Spl +P round would not be pleasant but I'd much prefer that being done from a metal-alloy revolver than a polymer one. The 16 oz. 642 has enough recoil to make you dread every shot. One lighter than that would be terrible... The redeeming quality of the LCR may lie in its smaller cylinder only.
  9. lead

lead Active Member

I've never understood why they didn't introduce this in their new .327Magnum? It's their round for crying out loud! Maybe they figured that if it gets recalled, let it be in .38spl, and not put a bad rep on the .327M?
  10. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

i may be wrong... but i dont think that the .327 federal magnum has done as good as the powers that be at sturm ruger hoped it would. i have only seen ONE of their sp101's chambered for it and the gun store didnt even have any ammo to sell any potential buyer of the pistol.:eek:
  11. lead

lead Active Member

Charter Arms is offering a pistol in it now, called "The Patriot" and I have read that S&W is putting something out in it soon.
    I bet that if the LCR does well, it will be out in .327 next.
  12. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I think the .327 in that lightweight package would be a hand full... A hand full that would be effective for only skilled shooters.
  13. Rodman

Rodman New Member

You failed to say that its a polymer framed revolver
  14. patrol

patrol New Member

Its not a polymer framed revolver at all. It has polymer cam and main spring but the frame is black titanium and the cylinder is dark grey stainless steel. it has a poly shroud on the outside where the hammer would be. Ruger makes good revolvers but since this is so new in their design and it has a hefty price tag I'd stick to a J frame in several models from air weight to scandium to shrouded hammer to hammerless etc..etc.. they are actually lower in price and have a lifetime warranty. I love my airweight J frame Mdl 638
  15. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member

Maybe, but only after the recall.
  16. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  17. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

I'd say it has potential for a very practical carry revolver.
  18. polamalu43

polamalu43 Member

I got one a few months back, as a nightstand gun for my wife. At first, I really loved shooting it. Now, it sometimes becomes a bit aggravating. After firing a few rounds, it becomes uncomfortable to shoot. Plus, I am really puzzled as to why I am so extremely inaccurate with this gun. I can't hit squat with this dang thing. I might as well throw it at a bad guy, because I sure wouldn't hit him with a round. I shoot Federal 115 gr. FMJ or Remington UMC at the range. Could that be a problem?
  19. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I bought mine in 10/09 and even though I haven't fired it a lot, I have not had any real problems with it. I seem to think it is as accurate as any 2 inch barrel can be. It is not real accurate at 25 yards.

The only problem I have had is that while shooting it one day, the "ejector" unscrewed and I could not get the cylinder to open. Once I figgured it out and screwed the thing back in, I'v had no other problems with it at all.
  20. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

I've read several reviews that indicate the polymer portions do a very good job of attenuating felt recoil, making the LCR a little more enjoyable to shoot than some of the other very lightweight snubbies, like the Scandium Smiths. It shor is butt-ugly though.