Ruger M77 - After Market Modification

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 8orabove, Dec 7, 2010.

1. 8orabove

8orabove New Member

I have a Ruger M77 chambered in 7 mm Rem Mag. It is an incredible gun and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have been looking into modifying some parts on it, as I am always looking to improve accuracy and functionality. However this M77 series is not manufactured anymore. I was wondering the stocks for the newer M77s would fit my rifle, and other after market parts. For example, I was thinking of putting on a Hogue overmolded stock, changing the bolt handle, a new floor plate and maybe a few other things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

The M77 MarkII is now known as the Hawkeye but many say the Hawkeye is inferior. Trigger systems are still available for the MkII. The floor plate set up is patented to Ruger so a aftermarket floor plate is not going to happen, nor do I know why you would want to change it. Instead of a Hogue Stock, why not improve on the one you have? Putting a aftermarket stock on a Ruger M77 is redundant IMO:D. The lug set up on a M77 is unique and improvements can be made with the stock you have. The new overmold stocks will fit but not without fitting. If your M77 has a tang safety then there is one area right there.
    The bolt handle is a little hard to get at especially with a gloved hand, I give you that, but Ruger steels are notoriously hard and working a bolt handle over would take someone that knows what they are doing and has done it before.
  3. 8orabove

8orabove New Member

The reason I want to change the floor plate is because every time I fire the gun the floor plate pops open and my shells fall out. That's a pain, and I want to fix it, so if I can just replace it with a better floor plate, I will. Also, its not a Mark II, its an M77 manufactured in 1983 a model currently out of production where as the Mark II is still in production. As for the stock, I am an avid hunter and I am out in the thick of it when I hunt. Whether I spot stalk, climb a tree or push through some brush my stock takes a beating. I would like to replace it with a synthetic stock so that I do not ruin the original wooden stock. Yes it does have a tang safety, in push up button style. What are your suggestions for "tuning up" the stock?
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I understand the stock issue and agree with you on the durability. With the existing stocks, have it bedded and while your at it have it refinished in tru oil, that way if it does get dinged or scratched fixing it is not as much of a production. Bedding it will not only make the action more sound it will add protection to the uncoated areas that usually when wet from hunting in the rain will swell and cause uneven pressures on random areas of the action. Sound like you need a new floor plate spring or latch. You got the good M77. I would hold on to that one too. I love mine and like you will never sell it.
  5. 8orabove

8orabove New Member

When you say bed the stock, do you mean glass bedding?
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

yes, glass bed. Pillar bedding never really worked on them no matter how much people swear that it did. i've seen some pillar bedded m77's shoot. My full beaded ultralight out shot them.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Most successful ruger bedding jobs are full length bedded like Helix said. That means the reciever areas are relieved so a good amount of bedding compound can be put there for stability, and the barrel channel is cut out and bedding materal mated to the barreled acton from tang to fore-end. If you choose the proper bedding material the stock will be good as a synthetic. I recommend DEVCON plastic steel or titanium putty. both are fantastic bedding compounds and are very similar to JB weld when cured. If done properly your stock will fit the action perfectly and be stiffer than if it had a full length bedding cradle inletted into it..

As for the floor plate, get the latch repared. sounds like the spring has gone weak or broken one.

Dunno much about availablity of aftermarke bolts for the ruger 77s, Im sure you could send your off to be reworked, if thats an option for you look up 'the boltman' His name is Jim Robert and hes a wizard with bolts, hes best known for his highly finished mosin nagant and K98 mauser bolts, but he does do modern commercial bolts as well. and hes top notch and pretty dang cheap to boot...
  8. 8orabove

8orabove New Member

Thanks for all of the help, I had tried to do as much research as possible but at one point just kind of hit a wall. This is my first rifle project, and I hope in the future to build one or two. Again thanks for the help, and when I get it all taken care of, I will post again with my results.