Ruger M77 MK11 bolt

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

milmat1
    (1/9/03 10:02:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Ruger M77 MK11 bolt
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyone else have one of these, Mine is the stainless with synth. stock. This gun hasn't been shot more than 40 rounds total. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that the mouser style bolt is very rough. If you do not pull it exactly strait back, without pulling up on the stem it drags really bad. making it hard to cycle the gun. It seems to be even worse after a round has been fired. I have pollished the reciever and bolt and burnished any rough spots i could find but it has made little difference. After firing the gun i try to cycle the action and it is very hard to pull the bolt back, so the spent shell doesn't get ejected smoothly. I cant find anything wrong within the bolt/reciever. Is this just the nature of this type of bolt ??

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/9/03 11:15:01 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Ruger M77 MK11 bolt
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ruger 77's are noted for their normally smooth bolt action. Of course, there can be turkeys with anything that is manufactured. Why not take it to a good gunsmith to see if he can figure it out, otherwise, you can always send it back to Ruger to have it fixed. They are wonderful people to deal with and usually bust their butts to make the necessary repairs to their products. And, YES, you can send the barreled action back to the factory yourself without having to go thru an FFL holder to do the shipping and receiving, as long as you, as the firearm owner ships it to the factory and they can ship it back to you.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/11/03 4:07:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Ruger M77 MK11 bolt
    I'd say you got a lemon

Hey, Bin Laden, our women can kick you butt!
  2. potato_sniper

potato_sniper New Member

Got a similar gun...no problems

Hey MilMat1,
    I've got an M77 MkII, Stainless/Synthetic in .300Win. mag. I've put about 60 rounds through mine with no problem.

I've only shot a couple of other bolt actions, a Remington 700BDL and a Browning A-bolt. My gun's action seems on par with those other guns. It doesn't sling the shell unless I actually get the action moving pretty fast, but I think that's pretty normal. I'd rather just reach up and take the shell out myself anyways--less wear on the action and less bending over to pick up spent shells.

Kdub's probably right. I think you just got the first one off the line on a Monday morning or the last one on a Friday. Probably some quality control guy wanting to be at home.

Later.
  3. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

Got 3 of them and no problems like that.
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I have two of them, left handed, and they are smooth and present no problems.
  5. NuclearMeltdown

NuclearMeltdown New Member

I handled several stainless M77s last week...2 or 3 were smooth and one was very slightly rough.
  6. the major

the major New Member

I got a 77 MkII RSI that was rough, put some TETRA gun grease on the bolt and raceway, it slicked right up!
  7. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Welcome, Major.

Hope you will join us and post often.
  8. 4 eyed six shooter

4 eyed six shooter New Member

You can polish the receiver where the bolt rides or return it to Ruger to be fixed. The bolt should operate fairly smooth on your rifle.
    Good shooting, John K
  9. Elarski

Elarski New Member

I just picked up my MkII Stainless Laminated .223 last Monday, then headed to the range. It had 40 rds. b/4 I received it, then I proceeded tp put 80 rds. through it...smooth as silk. This is my first Ruger Bolt Action, and I'm quite impressed.

:cool: