Ruger Mark 2 binding

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by seagravedriver, Aug 24, 2011.

1. seagravedriver

seagravedriver New Member

I recently bought a Ruger Mark 2 with a bull barrel. While I have heard of the oddities about the reassembly, I had a very hard time taking the barrel off the slide. I had to use a piece of hard rubber and a dead blow hammer. I laughed when I saw a video of a guy using his thumb. Putting it on was just as hard, and I cannot bring myself to tap it into place. It will not snap or press in with my hand. It is close, but the rear pin that goes through the frame, barrel and such does not pass all the way through. In a nutshell, the barrel does not snap onto the frame like the videos have shown. I do not know the age of it, nor how much it was shot. It was not overly dirty. Any ideas?
  2. pawn

pawn New Member

My experience has been that the fit is tighter on some than others. What you describe is not unusual. My MKIII 678 Slab Side requires a few taps with a rubber mallet to seat the upper to the lower. This does no harm to the pistol. JMHO.
  3. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I have several and they both take a couple of raps with the rubber mallet to seat, don't worry it won't hurt them just be gentle when you do it. after a few times it will become old hat.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The two Ruger MK II I have had over the years took a rubber mallet tap both to get the barrel off and back on. On the other hand, my son-in-law's same 678G's barrel is so loose on the frame that it needs to be sent back to Ruger for repair. Be happy your's is tight.

My 678G has been disassembled many, many times and the barrel is still tight on the frame. I think that ideal.

LDBennett