Ruger Mark I disassembly

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by gd454, Apr 26, 2010.

1. gd454

gd454 New Member

I read the posts on tricky disassembly, however my problem is the trigger will not reset, therefor I cannot decock the hammer to allow disassembly.
    Help!!!
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Have you tried pushing the trigger forward?

Jim
  3. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Don't know the correct terms off hand, but I think what may have happened is during reassembly ya didn't make sure the little thingy rides in the grove, its pushed past the pin, locking the bolt. Unlock the lockup, make sure the trigger sear?? is moving freely and is dead center, this drove me nuts many times before I figured out what I was doing wrong.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

No, under no circumstances unlock the lockwork (if, by that, he means pull the little lever in the grip down) while the gun is cocked. If you do the mainspring will push the little-lever-thing down and lock it in place. Takes two men and a boy to force it back up into place, against the spring tension, so you can drop the hammer and take it down correctly.
  5. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Good point, I am making a few assumptions here. Number one if his trigger will not "reset" I am figuring that he or someone else has had this gun taken down. If the sear is pushed under that pin there is no way that gun can get cocked as the bolt will not come back. If the trigger has not "reset" after firing then we have a different set of issues.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yeah, thinking over his original post, if the gun was put together wrong, then the bolt will not come back. Comes back, maybe, a quarter of an inch, and won't move any farther. In that case, yes, the trigger won't reset because you can't cock the hammer. And opening the little lever and re-trying would not be a problem.

I assumed, from his post, that the hammer was cocked, but the trigger would not go forward. Thinking over it now, I don't see how that could be, because if the trigger is not forward, it would be the same as if it were pulled - that is, the hammer would come forward. I think, now, that you are correct, and it was put together wrong. Need one little bit of info to be sure, though.

So, GD454, will the slide come all the way back?
  7. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Inquiring minds want to know.

:D
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The Mk I was the target model and the triggers were set for minimum takeup. Plus many had after market triggers installed that are also set for minimum takeup and overtravel. That can sometimes result in a trigger that will not reset because the sear bar (disconnector assembly) will not re-engage the sear after disconnect.

The OP seems to know what he is talking about, and my reading of his post is that the above is the case. So here is what I tried on my Mk I and which works in that circumstance.

If you KNOW the gun is unloaded, hold it in the left hand, barrel pointing up. Use a block of wood (I used a foot long piece of 1x3) and hit the gun HARD on the front of the grip frame just under the barrel. It may take several tries, but on mine, this jarred the sear out of engagement with the hammer, allowing the hammer to fall, after which disassembly was normal.

(If the gun is loaded, get back with me before doing anything!)

Jim
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  9. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

You now have a Ruger firearm...you will find it somewhat equivalent to a Boat...a hole in the water which you throw money into ;)

Ya shoulda got a High Standard or a Colt ;)
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Well, High Standards and Colts (I presume you mean the Woodsman type) can have problems too, aside from the fact that there are no new Colts and the old ones have taken on collector status with price rises accordingly.

I have worked on all three and actually prefer the Ruger. Once past the basic disassembly (which is easy once done a few times), it is simpler and easier to work on than the Colt or any of the H-S models.

Jim
  11. artabr

artabr New Member

Amen.

Alex Sturm & Bill Ruger knew what they were doing when they built this one.

Art
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  12. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

They have been using this same action since 1949 You are correct in saying they know what they are doing.

As mentioned above it does sound like the hammer strut is in front of the mainspring assembly which isn't letting the bolt go back.

If this gun is particularly dirty Jim K. Is on the right track the sear pivot or the sear stop may be grimy and keeping the trigger from reengaging
  13. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The gun does not have to be dirty for the disconnector bar to fail to reset. As I said, some of those guns are set for an absolute minimum of takeup and just about anything can cause reset failure, something that gd454 should check when he does get the gun disassembled. Since there is no half cock notch, jarring the sear out of engagement will allow the hammer to fall and disassembly can proceed normally.

BTW, Ruger was the designer; Sturm had the money and his wife, Paulina, (she was Alice Roosevelt's daughter* and TR's granddaughter) also put up money. Sturm had an artistic bent; he designed the Sturm, Ruger emblem. Alice Roosevelt was a real character; it was once said that she carried two deadly weapons, a revolver and her tongue, and it was never quite certain which was the more dangerous.

*But not the daughter of Alice's husband, Nicholas Longworth, a situation that has led to some neat wordsmithing in several books.

Jim
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2010