1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Ruger Mark II Disassembly/Assembly

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by The_Rifleman, Mar 28, 2010.

1. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Ruger Mark II Disassembly/Assembly Video

Make Sure It Is Unloaded!

Someone with a manual will have to reply to this with text instructions, (part names and whatnot,) I will do the best I can with the sticky areas.

The main hick-up with assembly of the Mark 2 is the dingle-berry hooked to the hammer and the hammer itself.

Mainly, a trigger pull at the right time solves the first problem most everyone runs into. When that strange apparatus that goes up into the bolt starts to slide out of the bolt hole as levered into position, pull the trigger and the hammer gets out of the way.

The next hurtle is to get that dingle-berry into the pocket of the strange apparatus, when that strange apparatus gets close to the closed position. That is when I hold the gun in a way so gravity lets it drop into the pocket.

Also: When you don't get the dingle-berry into the pocket and close the strange apparatus, things get kinda jammed when disassembling. To disassemble, just hold upside-down while wiggling and the strange apparatus will open.

The main thing to remember is don't force anything, stay calm and when in doubt, trigger pull.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  2. Just22s

Just22s New Member

You can find it in print if you search "Ruger Mark II Disassembly/Assembly"
  3. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

4. Morgan

Morgan New Member

Patience! Bill Rugers' elves were the three Stooges and the shop forman was Rube Goldberg. Practice, patience and laughter, enjoy. Read and practice, it will come and be second nature????? The Ruger Mark series are the best value for $ and accuracy. Have Fun!

Ken
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

While the Ruger MK series pistols always bring up "hard to re-assembly" posts, I think it time to dissect this gun for good points.

The barrel is screwed into the receiver tube. Most modern guns just pin them together

The receiver is all steel, as is the bolt, the barrel, and the frame. Many 22 pistols have lots of aluminum and plastic, neither of which are as strong or durable as steel.

The bolt is robust and strong. Modern guns tend to have slides that can get beat up in time from the abrupt stop they undergo on closure.

The bolt stop (used in recoil) is steel and needs no buffer as it is massive. Some modern 22 pistols NEED buffers to survive.

The receiver fits the frame tightly. So tightly that a light hammering with a rubber mallet is required on the receiver/barrel to assemble or disassemble the gun. Modern guns may not fit together this tightly and may not after thousands of rounds which would not be the case for a Ruger MK series all steel gun.

The trigger pull may be a bit heavy or creepy but that is easily fixed with drop in parts from several sources or with an old fashion trigger job on the existing parts (it worked for me). No modern gun has the availability of after market parts the Ruger MK series guns has! Some have no trigger parts in the USA (like Beretta 87T where I had to send to Italy for a trigger with an over travel screw that I had to modify to fit).

Target versions of the Ruger MK series guns are generally very accurate. They are accurate enough to be used in competitions like bullseye. If not you can get an after market barrel that is probably more accurate than most of the other target guns.

The barrel, frame and sights are all tied together like virtually any other well known accurate guns (the bolt recoils inside the receiver and the sights are fixed to the barrel and receiver. That is, the design is similar in that respect to the S&W Model 41, the High Standard Victor, and many high dollar guns.

The Ruger Mk series all steel guns are rugged, durable, and accurate pistols (especially the Target versions, in my experience). They make a very cost effective, rugged, and accurate first pistol as well as a good addition to anyone's collection of Target 22 pistols. I have one along with about ten other Target 22 pistols, some of which cost more than twice what the Ruger cost.

The Ruger MK series was the first gun Bill Ruger designed for his own then new company. It started the ball rolling for him and was very and is a very popular pistol because it has something to offer for a reasonable price. Bill Ruger deserves no bad words over this pistol. It was revolutionary in design for its day (stamped sheet metal receiver, a new approach after WWII... 1947). In Bill Ruger's quest to make a rugged no nonsense pistol, the result is it is hard to get back together if you don't follow the instructions exactly as written (and hold you head just so). I excuse him!

LDBennett
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  6. pawn

pawn Active Member

another of many solid posts by LDBennett. Ruger MK pistols have stood the test of time. They are accurate, durable and continue to be a wonderful value in today's firearms market in which much headway (IMHO) has been gained by non-US companies.

if you are considering purchasing one, don't let the re-assembly hype scare you away. it's not that difficult. really :D
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

pawn:

But remember to hold you head at 22.354 degrees :-0

Seriously, just put the manual in front of you and follow it step by step and the gun goes back together pretty easily. For those not in tune with the MK series guns, it is the hammer strut that first has to positioned inside the gun in one way and then the gun tipped in a another way to get it into its cup in the hammer spring/latch assembly. Get it wrong and the gun goes back together but the bolt will not cycle all the way back when you attempt to pull it back manually.

LDBennett
  8. bobkk

bobkk Member

They get easier to put back together After a few years.
    Had a little trouble on my first one then it got easier.
    Think I got the first on in the late 50's. Traded a
    Win M12 for it. Could buy a used M12 then for 35 or
    40 dollars. LD is right they shoot good.