Ruger Mark II or Mark III which do you choose and why.

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by PPK 32, Sep 4, 2008.

1. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

My next .22 is gonna be a Ruger, got my mind made up. Like the looks of stainless and most importantly, like the way the gun feels and shoots. I have had two people at the gun shop (customers) say they would want the MK II over the III. No solid reason, just preferance. Any thoughts?
  2. artabr

artabr New Member

I haven't shot any of the MKIII's, so I don't know if there is any shooting difference.
    2 points.
    #1- I love the fact that they moved the mag. release to the grip side behind the trigger vs the old heel mag. release. Plus 1 for the III.

#2- I hate fiber optic sights for true target shooting. you get too fuzzy a sight picture. Don't get me wrong. I love fiber optic sights for fast target acquisition, I have a F/O front sight on my steel plate gun.
    I don't know if ALL the MKIII's have F/O sights or not? And if they do, you could always change the sights to the old style. Plus 1 for the II

Edit:
    I just took a look at Rugers web site and saw that just the Hunter models come with F/O sights.
    I have a Competition MkII and love it. :)

The rambling's above are my thoughts on the subject and don't equal to a hill o' beans. :D :D

Art
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  3. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Ya bring up a good point that I have heard twice now. There are upgrades and options available on the II that are not avail on the III. I am sure they will be later on but not right now.
  4. happy1

happy1 New Member

I haven't shot a mkIII but I've got a mkII, Ilove it it's got to be the most accurate .22 I've ever shot with no mods done to it. I can lock it in a ransom rest and put all ten shots into one jagged hole at 25 yds it shoots better then I can.
    O ya my mkII is a 7in. government bull barrel
    Paul..
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  5. canonguy

canonguy New Member

Both pistols very similiar, but if you can find a "like new" mark II and save a few hundred $$$, buy it! Mark 2 has fewer annoying safety features which is a potential for future failures.
  6. pawn

pawn Active Member

my experience, prior to purchasing an MKIII, was with a friend's MKII. you probably won't find a NIB MKII so thats a potential downside. others have done a good job of contrasting MKII vs MKIII. To me, I don't mind so much the "enhancements" from II to III but to each his own. you can't go wrong with either version PPK.. if the pistol has stove-pipe jams i recommend going with a volquatsen exact edge extracter (but don't use the supplied VQ extractor spring...it's designed for the 10/22)
  7. greener

greener New Member

MKII (except 22/45): Mag release on bottom of grip frame. No mag safety.
    MKIII: mag release on side of grip frame. Mag safety. Loaded chamber indicator.

Shooting difference: NADA

If you find a MKII you like at a price you like, buy it.
    If you find a MKIII you like at a price you like, buy it.

I've bought, in order:

MKIII Hunter
    MKIII 22/45
    MKII GC
    MKII 22/45.

All shoot great. The MKII's were bought solely on price and condition.
  8. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

II or III it is!!! I will let ya know the outcome, we have a gun show coming up soon, plus two ranges I frequent. Thanks everyone.
  9. Waldo Pepper

Waldo Pepper New Member

The only real down sides to Mk III is:

1. Internal Lock (never heard of any failures)

2. Loaded Chamber Indicator is easily lost but has no effect of operation of gun.

3. The Mk III will cost you more, but it is new.

One other oddity is all hunters are SS in new Mk III's 22/45's, I call it black as that is what SS does when blued. Most mfg's charge more for the SS option then the blued SS for some reason.
  10. pawn

pawn Active Member

PPK, any progress in aquiring your ruger mk?
  11. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

I have looked at a couple of places and there are no Mark IIs so far. I looked at the Mark III Hunter, like the gun but want different grips. By the time I totaled everything up, it was a bit too pricey at this time. We have a gun show coming up this weekend so I am going to check it out. I am taking my time. They wanted 570 for the gun and 40 bucks for new grips. This does not include tax. I will keep ya posted when I get it.
  12. Waldo Pepper

Waldo Pepper New Member

Local dealer here in SEMO has a Mk III Hunter and it has a price tag on it over $100 less then your quote above, and may have been low $400 range. I bought a used but unfired 5.5" Hunter in the 22/45 version for $195 out the door. I did buy a Mk III SS target model with 8.5" barrel for $370 last year and the thing was a real let down for accuracy, even my S&W 22a could easily out shoot the gun. So I got rid of the thing.
  13. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

I don't mind paying a fair price but I know I can do better than the numbers they were coming up with. Surprised to hear your comments on the S&W 22a as this is one of the primary reasons I am looking for a good 22. Don't remember the exact measurement but the MKIII Hunter has over a 6" barrel, I have found I shoot better with a long barrel, thats one of the things I like about the gun.
  14. Waldo Pepper

Waldo Pepper New Member

Ruger one must learn has no set rule about what they make and why. My Mk III 22/45 is a 5.5" barrel and was group of several hundred (thousand?) made for big wholesaler out west and I really like the weight and balance. Anther odd thing is the gun is SS that has been "blued" and that results in in the black finish on the gun.

I also looked at the Hunter I mentioned above again today and it is a used gun and price is $340 and not a scratch on the gun and looks to have been fired very little. Sure was pretty and has an 8" barrel according to the tag. They had a new Target model 8" in SS and fluted barrel that was $447 by the tag.
  15. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

I like the stainless steel look, although I would not pass on a blued one either. The price ranges are right where I'd like to be (ones you quoted). I don't know how I'd like the 8" barrel, I'd have to hold one and see, I really don't think it would make that much of a diff but ya never know. Now ya got me anxious for Sunday (the gun show). Of course after I buy it I have to wait 72 hours--what a dumb rule for someone who has guns already.