Ruger Mark II or Mark III which do you choose and why.

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by PPK 32, Sep 4, 2008.

1. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

I'll see if I can over come me being "digitally challenged":D and get a pic, with a target from the range.
  2. Tom

Tom Member

My first Ruger .22 auto was a used MK IIGC. It has the usual not quite great trigger. I fixed that with a VQ sear and Marvel trigger. Now it has an Ultradot LT reddot and it is super.

I have since gotten a MK III Hunter and 5 1/2" bull barrel. I eliminated the mag safety by putting in a VQ MK II hammer and sear. I don't particularly care about the LCI and lock. I love the Browning style mag release, but I had to put on an extension. I drilled and tapped the mag release and screwed on a 1911 mag extension.

All three have VQ rear sights and square post front sights.

Both the MK IIIs required barrel break-in. I used HS copper washed Federal bulk stuff. Now that the barrels have smoothed out, they shoot the Federal Gold Medal Match very nicely, like my MK II.
  3. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

The MKII is awesome--I suck.:D:D My daughter is coming out and may be able to help me with a pic. I am very happy with my purchase, its a great gun, nice to hold fun to shoot. I have lots of work to do to get myself dialed in on this one.
  4. pawn

pawn New Member

good stuff :D
  5. Oncefiredbrass.net

Oncefiredbrass.net New Member

I chose the Mk3 as the mag release is in a good position. I still do not like the safety switch as its hard to take off when I am drawing for competition. I guess the only other downside for me is that some of the parts for the MK2 do not fit the Mk3.
  6. Naybor

Naybor New Member

I got my new Mark III Standard in stainless a couple of days ago.
    Got it as a stainless in a Sports South Distributor Exclusive model for $330. Google "Sports South Ruger Mark III" and you will find it. The shop matched Bud's Gun Shop price.
    The new placement on the magazine release is better than the Mark II.
    The new loaded chamber indicator is ok, but I'll probably remove it.
    The only fire with magazine inserted feature is not ok. It can be fixed by taking out the mechanism and replacing with three washers. A how to article is available here and there on the internet.

Why not just buy a Mark II? Those puppies are hard to find.

This one, like my last, is ACCURATE!!! The Ruger Mark I, II, and III is IMHO still the best .22 auto available in today's market.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  7. user

user New Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    My answer is, "false" - I don't want any gun that takes two hours, WITH the instructions, to put it back together after cleaning. I vote for the S&W model 63 (J frame) or 617 (K frame).
  8. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

That why I like my Sig Mosquito. I flip the takedown lever and the slide comes off, that's it!

That said I still like my MKII; its more accurate and reliable than my mosquito:

View attachment 40889
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  9. starman

starman New Member

Ruger Mark 3 fluted barrel for me, its one sweet shooting handgun. Probably my favorite for punching holes in paper. I have a Bushnell 3X6 scope on it and from a rest at 25yds I can consistently hold a 1" group.
  10. pawn

pawn New Member

User, it's not that bad. After a few times, reassembly is pretty easy IHMO and I am as ham-banded as they come :eek:
  11. thomas44

thomas44 New Member