Ruger Mark II Problems

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by fireman71, Apr 23, 2011.

1. fireman71

fireman71 New Member

Hello all. Looking for a bit of advice here regarding a Ruger Mark II that I recently sort of inherited. I know the weapon fired recently then it came to me and set in the safe for a few months and prior to firing it I wanted to clean it and check it. I went to disassemble it and ran into a few problems that I haven't found an answer to.

I think that the root of all the issues with this weapon is that the barrel and lower are slightly misaligning. I worked for several hours getting the thing apart, cleaned, and then put back together. Getting it apart the first time was a real job which I wrote off to it just not having been cleaned recently and sitting for so long, but now I think it was due to the misalignment problem. I discovered the problem when I reassembled the weapon. The bolt seems to be binding up and torquing the trigger and hammer assemblies so that they bind up as well. This binding seems to be being caused by a misalignment of the lower and the barrel. Its the only thing that I can come up with after spending the night working on getting it apart, back together and having the bolt bind up, working to get it apart again, reassembling and it magically worked, disassembling to see what was going on a bit and then reassembling and it binding up. It was at this point that I noticed the front of the lower wasn't exactly straight like I thought it should be across the barrel.

As it stands now the main spring housing will not freely come out. It is going to take a lot of finessing again or some tool working to try and force it. Looking at the firearm and the tools marks already on it I would say this has been a recurring problem in the past. Also, the bolt will only slide about half of an inch rearward and then stops.

[​IMG]
    This shows how far the main spring housing will come out with a bit of work before it binds up completely.

[​IMG]
    This one shows the max the bolt will travel before it binds up and stops.

[​IMG]
    This one is sort of hard to see the misalignment that I noticed but the left side of the lower (in the picture) is slightly further back than the right side. I would say there is about a little over a 1/16th of an inch difference.

As I said above, apparently this has been an issue for some time judging but the tool marks scarring the weapon. I am just wondering if it is something that is fixable or not or if I am way off on what I think is wrong here.

Thanks in advance! :)
  2. Danwin22

Danwin22 Member

If it was mine I'd call Ruger.
  3. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

did you try pulling the trigger? seems your problem is when you reassembled you didnt point the gun into the air so the hammer bob could sit into the little dimple on the mainspring.
  4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

what JUNKKING said. Been awhile since I had one but they're tricky till you get the hang of it then it's easy.
  5. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The first time I took one of those apart it took me two days to figger out how to re-assemble it.
    What JUNKKING and Hawg said.
  6. north tex

north tex Member

I'd recommend that you go to the Ruger site and download the operating manual for it. Then follow the instructions to the letter. There are 2 different times you have to pull the trigger and the gun has to held in a certain position when you do it. Without doing it in the right sequence you will break something if you force it. If the gun is in fairly new condition and everything is still tight it takes a lot of effort to get it back together. There are also some video instructions available if you search Ruger Mk... A lot of people have had problems with the Mk series takedown.
  7. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Yeah I have a .22/45 and what everybody says is right on the money...it's a tricky little devil to get back together, with a lot of juggling and jiggling and swearing and holding your mouth just right until everything just suddenly goes together smoothy and you end up wondering what the heck you were doing wrong the FIRST 13 times you tried it!:confused::p

But DON'T force anything, it will go into place eventually, and whatever is being forced can screw you up...the tool marks scare me, becasue evidently somebody forced it together in the past....
  8. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I would say your current problem is the hammer bob is behind a cross pin. You have to pull the trigger with the gun held tipped forward so the hammer ends up in the fired position and it will then swing free so you can position it in the mainspring hollow where it belongs and it should then go together with no problem. And do down load the manual and some reassembly videos they will help.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  9. phinsnfur1

phinsnfur1 Member

Go on youtube there are two short vidios that will show you what to do. ruger mk2 assimbley and disassembly
  10. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

11. langenc

langenc Member

Go to guntalk and Bullseye will counsel you.

Go to Rugers site and request a manual. Just give em model # and one will be in your mailbox in about a week.