Ruger Mark II ... what happened?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by coh2000, May 11, 2012.

1. coh2000

coh2000 New Member

I just re-assembled the Ruger Mark II today, and paid careful attention to the hammer strut before closing the snap. Did this 3 times. Now when I pull the action back, it does not fully close. (short 1/8 inch), then can be pushed with my finger. The gun is clean. What happened?
  2. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  3. coh2000

coh2000 New Member

I think the hammer was down when I completed the last step when it should have been up. Did the breakdown and assembly again and the action worked smoothly a few times.
    Then it got hard to pull back. I put an empty magazine in, and pull the action open but noticed that the release button on the side was very hard to press down. Now it appears that the release button is always in the down position.
    Maybe that was why it was 'hard to press down'???
    Anyway, removed the magazine and noticed that the action starting to stick open (real open). So just seems to get worst for me.
  4. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

in the video the guy said the lever must be down. did you watch the video?
  5. coh2000

coh2000 New Member

I saw the video.
    I have a Mark II Bull Barrel not the 20/45 like he does, but the assembly looks the same.
    I did not pull the trigger like he did.. so I could try that.
    But I have watched 4 videos on Youtube and nobody did that on any of those for the gun I have. Neither does the manufacturer's instructions mention pulling the trigger at that point. Worth a try.
    What they all do, is to check for a little spring pressure just before you snap the main spring shut. Which I did and got it.
    That is all I have heard of doing in the 4 videos and the written instructions.
    But, that said and done, the action just does not want to open.
    If the 'spring pressure' is not there, then I know the action won't open.
    Testing all of this, I did it intentionally once and noticed that the action would move slightly when assembled wrong.
    But, when I assembled it as instructed in those videos and the book, it is really tight and doesn't want to move at all.
    Also, he mention somthing about being sure the bolt release on the side is down. I have never heard that before either.
    After one assembly, it seemed to work for awhile, then it started to lockup.
  6. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

[forget this part]It sounds to me as if there is crud where the ejector fits into the barrel when the bolt is forward.[/forget this part] I read your post wrong.

If you get the pistol fully assembled and the bolt comes all the way back, it is assembled properly. Otherwise the bolt will only travel 1/2 inch then stop.

Just remember not to force anything and clean every nook and cranny. I'll use a thin wire to get at the problem areas. Penetrating oil help a lot.
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
  7. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I'm uploading a video now to show the tricky part.

Tricky Ruger Mark 2

I'm making another full version.
  8. coh2000

coh2000 New Member

After watching the video again, even though he has the 10/22 and I have the MK II ss, I see he holds the trigger down when he installs the mainspring.
    I read the comments too. One guy said his bolt wouldn't work either until he held the trigger down during the last step. Ok, I will try that too. My fingers are too sore tonight so I'll have to try it tomorrow.
    As for the gun, it has never been fired so it has no fouling.
    I re-read the manufacturer's book and it does not mention the trigger hold during the installation of the mainspring.
    I watched 4 other videos, and no one mention it either. Is that unique to the 10/22 ? It odd that this is the only place that I have seen it. Hope it works.
  9. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Let me just say first that if you didn't pull the trigger at the right time, the pistol wouldn't be together. So it isn't the trigger pull.

Second; when you are aligning the strut make sure the pistol is angled so the strut slides right up the middle of the mainspring housing.

Got this at the Ruger site. INSTRUCTION MANUAL FOR RUGERĀ® MARK II

Complete Ruger Mark 2 Dissassembly Assembly

I read this line, "it does not fully close. (short 1/8 inch)" whereas you meant open. The bolt not closing 1/8 an inch is a fouling issue.
  10. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

This guy explains it really well and bypasses the trigger pull by having the hammer up; (probably how you are doing it.)

Ruger MK II & III Disassembly/Reassembly EASY pt. 1/3

If the bolt doesn't come back all the way, just open the mainspring latch and realign the strut. There is no need to take it all apart.