Ruger Mark III or S&W 22A?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by skydog576, May 10, 2009.

1. skydog576

skydog576 New Member

I'm trying to decide which gun would be better to buy. I have read various reviews and the S&W 22A is ammo picky. Nothing but very round nose ammo, will feed reliably. Is the Ruger the same way?

I know the Ruger is hard to takedown, but S&W is not (+1 for S&W). The Ruger is said to be slightly more accurate (+1 for Ruger). S&W cost less (+1 for S&W).

So, it basically comes down to which one feeds ammo better...no fun fighting ammo when trying to shoot...and fun is what I want to have with this gun!

Anybody have experience with both the Ruger and S&W 22A?
  2. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

I have shot everything from eley subsonics to federal bulk packs in my Ruger MkIII I have never had a malfunction! It truly is a great shooter with superb accuracy regardless of the ammo I feed it. I have never shot the S&W therefore I have no opinion on them
  3. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

The 22A is garbage.
  4. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Well, if you're for a good looking pistol, the Ruger is all steel and very nice. Comes in a variety of barrel lengths and stainless models as well (+2 for the Ruger). The S&W is, what Plastic? It is what it is. The S&W is cheaper than the standard 4 1/2 Ruger, but ugly (at least to me). You can buy extra grips for the Ruger and it's rugged. I would venture to say that the S&W isn't in the same league as a Ruger Standard, but if you don't have the funds, or just like it's looks, then up to you. I'd get a used Ruger before I got the S&W. TJ
  5. pawn

pawn Active Member

I don't have any experience with the 22A but am a big fan of Ruger MKII or III. Take down is not all that difficult after you've done it a time or two. If possible, get to a range that rents each -- try them both and decide for yourself.

Good luck!

~pawn
  6. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Ruger, I have both and the Ruger is much more fun, true takes a couple more steps to take it apart, but the quality is just much higher. dont know what has happened to the quality dept at smith and wesson. I have two smith wheel guns that I love but as far as auto's go I wouldnt buy one by smith.Remember you get what you pay for.
  7. hiredhand

hiredhand New Member

Everyone has an opinion about which gun is more accurate. The thing I have noticed is that no one has posted proof ----- read as targets with groups shot.
    No gun is any more accurate than the shooter!
    But I do happen to like the Smith 22 S or A series of guns. To prove my point go to page 3 and scroll down to the title "Smith 22S Accuracy" by hiredhand. You will find the results of what these guns will do. The result was not unique as several 22 A's & S's have come very close to this result. And all have feed various brands of ammunition, probably over 20 different types, brands, weights, and bullet styles with no problems.
    If any of your shooting buddies own the two guns you are interested in you might want to shoot them and see for yourself what feels good and gives you the best confidence.
    As an FYI, the 22 S & A series are made in the same factory as the Smith Model 42.
    Would I turn my nose up at a Ruger? Most likely not. But then again I like the results of the 22S. And by the way, the factory trigger on the Smith is head and shoulders above the Ruger.
    But if you are looking for a factory tack-driver then spend a couple of more bucks and buy a High Standard in the Victor or Citation styles. Now these are accurate 22 rimfire pistols!
  8. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

My first new .22 auto was a S&W 22A. It did nothing but tick me off. Gun shot high, could not get it dialed down. Sent it to S&W where they bent the rear sight down--real precision adjustment. Got it back only to have it do the same thing. Also while shooting at the range the bottom of one of the mags fell apart--made of plastic, of course. The gun never shot well, accuracy wise, it did feed just about anything. I finally sold it. Bought a Ruger MK II competition target, can't say enough positive about it, which led to buying the MK III also, like that one too. Yes Ruger is tricky on the breakdown and reassembly, but once ya get it, its a peice of cake. Plenty of people here who can help you. Don't waste your money on a 22A. I know of three other people who have bought these things and dumped em.
    My Rugers eat anything ya can feed them, except that crappy Remington Thunderbolt which no gun can eat.
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
  9. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I had both a Ruger and a S&W 22A. I had the same problem with the 22A shooting high. Sent it back to the factory and six weeks later I got the piece of junk back. They did the same thing, bent the rear sight down. It was a piece of crap and I liked it so much I gave it away. It wouldn't shoot a group I'd show anybody either. By the way, I retired from the All Army Eastern Region Rifle and Pistol Team and have shot on a national record setting pistol team and the All Army Championships pistol team. My old S&W Model 41 is a tack driver, but the 22A isn't worth the box it's comes in. My Ruger never has a hiccup, it just keeps on shooting whatever I feed it.
  10. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

+1 absolutely. I now have a 22a after giving my old MKII to my son. The 22a, while reasonably accurate, is a POS from the word go. Mine has been returned because the barrel hook (the piece of cast metal that hooks to the frame) broke off. The Ruger is a solidly built pistol far superior to the S&W. I do also own a 586 for which I have high regard. It's a shame S&W put their name on the 22A
  11. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

When I called the S&W factory where I had returned the 22A for repair I talked to the man in charge and he told me they didn't have any "Gunsmiths" there, just repairmen. I have some older S&W revolvers and a old model 41 S&W .22 which is a tack driver, but I think their newer stuff leaves a lot to be desired.
  12. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I agree with everyone else here about S&W, if you want to get a decent one, get an older model. I have a 422 that is probably the best gun in my collection, very accurate. I got it used a few years ago, I believe it's a late 1980s serial number.
  13. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

I have some older S&W revolvers and a old model 41 S&W .22 which is a tack driver, but I think their newer stuff leaves a lot to be desired.[/QUOTE]

+1 I would and have bought older S&W autos and a revolver, but will not buy their newer autos. The old 41s are good guns.
  14. mikengracie

mikengracie New Member

I have two MKII's and a M41. The M41 hands down the better pistol. Feel, trigger accuracy. I almost bought a 22A for my daughter but didn't like it at all. Shot a new rental and it wasn't all that accurate and picky with ammo. MKII's are accurate enough but not near the target gun of the M41.
  15. RonC1

RonC1 New Member

I recommend both, if you can afford it. I did.

My S&W 22A is a bit picky on ammo, likes stuff with burn rate like the Federal AutoMatch, or whatever they are calling it now.

The barrel hook was cast on the early models. It is now steel and pinned. No breakage there.

I maintain, for accuracy, the 22A does not take a back seat to my Mk II. I have both short and long barrels for my 22A. With an inexpensive red dot on the short barrel (that is 4",) the gun is better than I am.

I like the Mk II also but I more often take the 22A to the range for fun.