Ruger Mark III

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by pawn, Aug 4, 2008.

1. pawn

pawn New Member

I have on order a Ruger Mark III, stainless steel with a 6 7/8 inch slab sided bull barrel. Should have her in my hands by the end of the week. It's been years since I've plinked with a Mark III- looking forward to getting reaquianted :)

Any other Mark III shooters out there?

-pawn

Attached Files:

2. user

user New Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    yup. 6 & 7/8" Target model in blue w/Weaver 4x handgun 'scope:

[​IMG]

The good thing is, it's easy to mount a 'scope on it, 'cause the top don't move. The bad thing is, because the slide's internal, it's a nasty bit to get it put back together after a thorough cleaning.

Lots'o fun for killing soda cans with, though.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  3. pawn

pawn New Member

nice pistol user :D
  4. greener

greener New Member

Nice looking pistola, user.

I have a couple MKIII's.
    [​IMG]
  5. artabr

artabr New Member

Pawn, you'll love it. I have a MKII Gov't. Competition and I love mine, it shoots great.

Art
  6. I often shoot my Ruger 22/45 with bull barrel which is mechanically quite similar to the Mark III, Pawn. It is perhaps the most accurate .22 handgun I've ever fired. You made an excellent choice for plinking and target shooting.
  7. pickenup

pickenup New Member

MK-II shooter here.

[​IMG]
  8. pawn

pawn New Member

Thanks for your comments and pictures everyone :D!!!

My Mark III came in today and I will for sure be trying her out tomorrow.

Will post a range report.

The only possible caveat is that I have heard they are tricky :confused: to re-assemble after field stripping/cleaning... time will tell. :)

-pawn
  9. artabr

artabr New Member

Pawn, post # 38 in the link below does a good job explaining reassemble of your pistol. The 2nd to last paragraft is the key. You need to pay attention to the hammer strut when closing the mainspring housing. Holding the gun the way he states is also key. ;)
    Trust me, it takes longer to read this than to do it.:)

There is a link inside the post I'm talking about. Pay no attention to it, the guy is clueless, inless you want to beat on your gun with a 2x4. :confused: :D

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5111&page=4

Art
  10. They are simple to disassemble, but reassembly can indeed be a pain in the butt, Pawn. The key is to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and do exactly as they say, even when it sounds silly. At one stage in reassembly you have to tilt the pistol up just right so the thingamajig will fit into the dumaflogie or the damn thing won't work. :D;)
  11. pawn

pawn New Member

Thanks Art and Pistol :)
  12. artabr

artabr New Member

Pawn, ya gotta let as know how it went. :)
    Hows it shoot. :)

Art
  13. pawn

pawn New Member

Art,

I put ~ 300 rounds through her yesterday- it was a great experience. The pistol is well balanced and highly accurate right out of the box. :D Recoil was very low, even with CCI Stingers. Attached picture is the back of my target cardboard- I was shooting from 25 feet.

No FTF's, one stove pipe with federal target ammo which was easily cleared.
    I love the MKIII Competition- easy to shoot well, inexpensive ammo and a nice lookin pistol ta boot :)

Disassembly was pretty straight-forward- I did have to use a hammer and wooden dowel to remove the bolt stop pin... it was in there tight. Cleaned her up but I'm stuck at re-inserting the bolt stop pin :eek: I will work on that again today but its a very tight fit and there's no way I see to apply concentrated force with a hammer/dowel to get it back through. I'm sure it will loosen up after a few times.... and I haven't even made it to the tricky part yet. I like a challange :D

Look forwad to years of enjoyment plinking away with my MKIII.

-pawn :)

Attached Files:

14. artabr

artabr New Member

Pawn, make sure your bolt is fully seated into the receiver, turn the gun upside down, pull the trigger to allow the hammer to fall into the bolt as it would when striking the firing pin (I think you'll need to insert the mag. to pull the trigger). Point the barrel of the upside gun down intill the hammer strut rest against the inside of the pistol grip, Then install the bolt stop/mainspring housing intill the bolt stop fully seats, once the bolt stop is in, while still holding the gun upside down tilt the barrel upwards intill the hammer strut hits the mainspring housing. Close the mainspring housing and you're done.
    Note: This is for the MK.I and MK.II. I have not taken a MK.III down, but don't think there would have been any take down changes other than having to insert the mag. because of the mag. disconnect.

Art
  15. pawn

pawn New Member

Thanks Art, I got it!!! :D :D :D

Barrel and receiver weren't quite lined up, thats why I couldn't get the bolt stop through. Once that was squared away I followed your directions and popped the mainspring back in without too much trouble.

Like you say, just have to remember to pull the trigger to move the hammer forward to allow mainspring to latch in while also lining up the hammer strut with that spot on the mainspring housing.

Thanks again.

-pawn
  16. artabr

artabr New Member

Tain't nothing to it. :p ;) :D

Art
  17. user

user New Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Thanks for the compliments, folks, and congratulations on your fine new piece, Pawn. Looks great!

As to reassembly, I find I have to poke at the hammer with a bamboo skewer at the same time I'm holding the trigger back, so the hammer will lie flat. And when I first got it, that pin was not going back up into the hole through the slide and stuff. So I polished it up a bit. Works ok, now, though there's no way I can remember how to do all that. I have to have the instructions in front of me every time I do it. All I can remember is that the hammer has to be in three different positions at different phases of reassembly.

Well, anyway, Pawn, I hope you get lots of enjoyment from that gun.
  18. pawn

pawn New Member

:D cheers sir :D
  19. Tom

Tom Member

My MK III Hunter and MK III512. Both are very nicely accurate. Both weigh 40 oz. My MK II 678GC weighs 46 oz.

Attached Files:

20. pawn

pawn New Member

Nice pistols Tom!!!