Ruger Mark III

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by pawn, Aug 4, 2008.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Nice. Lots of good looking Mark III showing up around here. Got a new one my self but haven't been able to get out and shoot lit.
    [​IMG]
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Just curious. Is there any reasons as to where you place a red dot like Tom's Ultra or my Burris or any of the others? I'm referring as to setting it back, middle or forward or is it just a question of personal preference?
  3. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

TODD51,

I suspect it is best to place it where yo want it. It's position may be determined by where you see through it better, where the firearm balances better, or based on where it sits best in the hoslter you use. Just experiment with it. I have the Mark III Hunter with the Ruger Scoped holster I purchased from The Sportsmans Guide. Because of the hoster I have to position the Truglo red dot sight as far back as it will go on the gun. Fortunatly, that is were it balances best, has the best eye relief, and fits the hoster best. From a bench rest at 25 yds I can cover three shots with a quarter. You are going to love that gun.

Nevehome
  4. OKLAHOMAMOSES

OKLAHOMAMOSES New Member

I have owned several Ruger Mk pistols over the past thirty years and recently purchased a mkIII 22/45 from a young fellow who said he was to embarrassed to give the local smith 40.00 to put it together again so offered it to me as is. I spent 3-1/2 hours the first night dis-re-assembling this little Jewel before getting it right, gun was bought with only one mag and no case or Manuel, best vid i have seen yet is Moe's you tube on 22/45 maintenance. I have shot 200 rounds of Remington gold hp's through it this week and only problem was failure to fire about once every 30-50 rnds, this ammo was bought three years ago so i think this is normal. Gun is 22/45 with 5.5 slab side bull barrel standard w/fixed sights, i love this pistol, shoots all other ammo with out a hitch, cheap rem gold only one that has non fire issues and one in 30-50 is not a problem to shoot as much as i do.
  5. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Todd,
    Let us know when you do get to the range. That Burris looks great! I usually buy something cheaper that works ok, but totally overpowers the pistol in size. Might have to up my cheap A** a bit.:D That one just looks right! I put the SAM Lam hammer bushing in mine, did the mag disconnect, and polished the hammer and sear while I was in there just a couple of weeks ago. Haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, either! Can't wait.:)
  6. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Permafrost, I originally had the Fastfire on the Hunter but you know how the hobby is, "never leave well enough alone" right? When the Burris 4x scope came back into my possession I put it on the Hunter. That left me with the Fastfire and nothing to put it on sooooo using my questionable judgement I solved that by getting the 5.5 bull barrel MK III. There was a time I was not satisfied with the Fastfire. It seems that the lighting conditions in the summer time with the trees all leafed out and shooting from under the low roof over my shooting bench the intensity of the dot would grow to the point it was useless beyond 25 yards. Spring, Fall, and Winter no problem. I found that if I got out from under the roof things were fine, and bright sun light is not problem. I am looking forward to doing a lot of shooting with it now but not under that low roof in the summer time, ha. I still would recommend to any one looking to get a red dot that they get one with a manually adjustable intensity on the dot. The Fastfire is auto adjust. I am just going to make this one work for me. Every thing else about it is fine.

Tomorrow it is on the schedule to put the Volquartsen kit in the 5.5. I put Sam's bushing in but I don't like all the pretravel and I have the kit so "just as well", ha. I have both in the Hunter and really like the results.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  7. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Todd,
    If you got the kit, I believe I'd put it in also. Didn't realize the Fastfire was auto focus. That does make me think a bit more. Hmmm......
  8. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I don't know if that Ultra Dot that Tom showed us is auto adjust or manual. Tom you out there?