The Firearms Forum banner

Ruger Match Champion

Tags
ruger
1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  JPDFL 
#1 ·
Hey all, after 10 years of scouting and hunting it's time to retire my trusty Colt .45 from its almost daily duty on my hip as "The gun that's always there". It has never failed me, served me well in this capacity, but it has taken a beating over the years and now I just want to keep it for fun and pass on to family members at some point. I have decided that due to the increase in the population of Black bears over the past 10 years in the areas I hunt here in the south that a power increase is required. I have decided that the .357 magnum caliber should do the trick. It will be my first wheel gun. I really do like the Ruger Match Champion for a number of reasons but would like some input from you folks here, good or bad. So if you own one, shot one, handled one, kicked one, spit on one, carried one, or worshiped one please post up your opinion. It will be appriciated.

Thanks

#3 ·
Call me old fashioned, but when it comes to wheel guns I go to S&W first. I don't mean any kind of knock on Rugers as I have a bunch of 'em. My "go to" .357 is a S&W 686 with a Hi-Viz front sight and a trigger job. I'm with gvw3, above, though. The Ruger Match Champion is one good looker.

#4 ·
I've looked at some S&W's and there's nothing wrong with them at all. I'm just trying to avoid spending $600-$800 on a good revolver that may then require additional funds and time out of service for items such as a trigger job, sights, and grips. Even if on the Ruger one of the above three items didn't agree with me I beleive I would still be ahead of the game at the price point of the Ruger without putting a large aditional dent in my wallet for after-manufacture work/items. It's a balancing act for sure. I was hoping someone on here that may own one, have handled one, or shot one might have some input to share. The Rugers haven't showed up yet in the LGS's around here.

#5 ·
Hey all, after 10 years of scouting and hunting it's time to retire my trusty Colt .45 from its almost daily duty on my hip as "The gun that's always there". It has never failed me, served me well in this capacity, but it has taken a beating over the years and now I just want to keep it for fun and pass on to family members at some point. I have decided that due to the increase in the population of Black bears over the past 10 years in the areas I hunt here in the south that a power increase is required. I have decided that the .357 magnum caliber should do the trick. It will be my first wheel gun. I really do like the Ruger Match Champion for a number of reasons but would like some input from you folks here, good or bad. So if you own one, shot one, handled one, kicked one, spit on one, carried one, or worshiped one please post up your opinion. It will be appriciated.

Thanks
I love the .357 round, but I have to say that I stepped up the power to .44 mag. Are you aware that the .45 can be loaded up to .44 mag specs? Lot's more bullet, lots more power, lots more penetration!

#8 ·
I'm sure he was. I've read many of his threads and comments on here over the years and know that it was my lack of being specific that lead to his comment above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.