Ruger Mini-14 or Bushmaster AR15

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by WHSmithIV, Sep 17, 2012.

?

Ruger Mini 14 or Bushmaster AR 15

Poll closed Sep 18, 2012.
  1. Ruger Mini 14

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Bushmaster AR 15

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

So, here's the poll - Wal-Mart has both the Ruger Mini 14 and the Bushmaster AR 15. I can afford to put one on layaway but not both (even though I want both) Help me choose everyone!
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

Easy I am gona assume your right handed.

Pros and cons

Mini 14
    What I like: mini 14 will eat anything, all ammo all day long, even reloads,

What i dont like: Position of mag release. Not pinpoint accurate. Need to use original ruger mags for best performance.

ARs
    What i like. Everything is where it is supost to be. Mag release, safety ect, perfect fit in the hand. Cheap P mags work great.

What i dont like: Generally not as reliable as the mini is. Some ar's need to be wet to work properly. So i consider all ar's wet guns.

Personally i grab my ar when things go bump in the night. I can use the rifle much easier because of how things are positioned. I can reload in a fraction of the time in a ar vs the mini and not take my eye off the target.
  3. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Neither.

Bushmaster is now part of the "Freedom Group" with other companies that have gone down hill lately like Remington and Marlin.

The Mini isn't really that bad these days but they still aren't very accurate, magazines that work are expensive and the accessories are mostly garbage and limited.

Go with a different brand of AR sold at WalMart like a Colt, Sig or S&W. You can do so much more with a AR over the Mini.
  4. WHSmithIV

Hmm OK - so, I now consider the poll modified to simply be AR 15.... vs mini 14.
  5. GunHugger

While true...somewhat. Unless you think you might need to engage in a firefight where you are shooting a few hundred rounds quickly. Most AR's can do that with just a small amount of lube you put on the bolt after you cleaned it last. I don't run mine "wet" with oil as some say is needed, just a little quality lube in the right places is all that is needed unless you are doing full auto mag dumps.

A little wet is a good idea though for a new one until it's broke in.
  6. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

Ditto

You said it better than i did.
  7. GunHugger

I have owned 2 Mini's and 7 AR's over the past 30 years. In my opinion there is no way I would ever pick a Mini over a decent quality AR.

I bought the Mini's because I always like the look and compactness of it. They were reliable. The first one I bought used so I blamed it's 10" 100 yards groups on the first owner, thinking it damaged the barrel from overheating it or something. Bought a new one, it shot worse.

Only Ruger mags can be counted on to work, they are expensive. Adding anything like a light is a PIA.

The possibilities are endless with the AR, full floating the barrel, barrel lengths, materials, accessories, grips, stocks....you name it, there are plenty of good choices available. The AR is fine the way they come or you can make it however you want it.
  8. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

I would take the AR over the Mini 14 any day. I have spent a lot of money and time trying to get a Mini 14 to shoot better than a 3" group at 100 Yards. I have spent about 100 bucks on my AR and it will shoot 1" groups @ 100 yards. To me after shooting and owning both guns it is a no brainer. The AR 15 is top dog!
  9. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Active Member

Don't shop at Wal-Mart.

As much as I love Ruger products, in this case pick up an AR first.

Don't buy Bushmaster, when they sold out and left Maine, they became Bushmaster in name only.
    Have a Cabelas anywhere in range? The company in Maine that was Bushmaster became Windham Weaponry, they make nice ARs at very reasonable prices (like Bushmaster used to be).

Don't shop at Wal-Mart if possible. It's already a crappy experience, when we let them put everybody else out of business, you really won't like shopping there. Spread your purchases around. Competition is good for the consumer.
  10. ozo

ozo Active Member

SBGO
    SBGO
    SBGO
    wet or dry
  11. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Build an AR. It's really easy. You'll get better quality than Bushmaster for the same price range. And rather than layaway, you just buy a few parts at a time.
  12. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

That is half true the person who made Bushmaster and sold it to the Freedom group the company that own Remington, Marlin AAC and many other gun companies is still in the SAME building with much of the same equipment but they are now called Windham Weaponry ( http://www.windhamweaponry.com ) they make the same high quality ar's he always has still made right here in Maine.
  13. ozo

ozo Active Member

I still opt for the Ranch rifle.......
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    In .308!
  15. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

It was too late for me to get in on the poll, but I would choose an AR. I have owned 4 AR's and 2 mini's (a 14 and a 30) over the past few years. I consider the ARs to be more accurate than a Mini. I agree with the statement someone made about building your own, even if you just buy a complete upper and a complete lower and slap them together, it would be just about as cheap as buying a complete gun.
  16. WHSmithIV

Hmm - ok - from what I see the AR wins. I still want them both though :)
  17. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I would consider getting an M-16 if you can get one. I been having trouble finding such a weapon.
  18. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

That would be the Mini 30 not the ranch rifle.
  19. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

You have not looked very hard they are plenty out there. Look on GB they always have a few. I would strongly recommend you ask your local SOT to put feelers out your chances of finding a better price go way up. Also make offers on the ones listed on GB they always seem to start at very high retail and if you got cash many times you can same a few grand.
  20. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Thanks for the info. I never had a full auto .223 so I really think I would have a great time with the gun especially with .223 ammo being cheap