Ruger Mini-14 or Bushmaster AR15

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by WHSmithIV, Sep 17, 2012.

?

Ruger Mini 14 or Bushmaster AR 15

Poll closed Sep 18, 2012.
  1. Ruger Mini 14

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Bushmaster AR 15

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. glens67

glens67 Well-Known Member

Well after owning an earlier mini and trading it in on a Target I am convienced that it is a fine target gun I can group at 1" at 100 yards all day long. You have to ask about the latest rendation of the Mini. I purchased an "Obama Gun" a NRA Mini 14, it is flawless, Can't compare with the Target mini because I dont want a scope on this one but I can make cans fly at 50 yards no problem. I have expierienced no FTFs with either gun. I like the Garand style action better than gas impingement acions. If ARs are so good why do you have to Modifiy them after purchase? What happens to the old parts??

Any way I am a Mini-14 fan. I have had ARs before but...
  2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I'm one of those "get 'em both" kind'a guys. For my HD shotgun I have both the Mossberg 500 AND the Remington 870. Both work great.

For my SHTF rifle, I have a Mini-14 that I bought new for just under $300 back in 1983. It's been a fun rifle to shoot for many years and has never had a single hic-up or failure. Yes, with the skinny barrel I had to do a couple of things to stabilize the "barrel whip", but that was easy enough. It gives me reliable 2" groups at 100 yards now with my reloads without any stringing. The new series Mini's with the thicker barrel are much more accurate than the older ones without any work required.

Then last fall I decided I needed to join the AR Club too, so I got an Armalite stripped lower from my local gunshop and then built the complete lower from quality parts I obtained from the internet. Piece-of-cake to do with only a couple of special tools needed. I bought a complete AR upper from the Rock River Arms website with the options I wanted and mated it to my lower in about 10 seconds for the fully assembled AR-15 ready to shoot. I must say, it's extremely accurate with the same reloads I use in my Mini. So far, it's been 100% reliable too, but I've only had it for about 9-months, so time will tell. The whole AR project with iron sights and one 30-round magazine came to $815 delivered. I'm quite happy with it, but the temptation to accessorize the thing is strong.

The truth is that now that Ruger has let the prices of the Mini's rise to the point where you can obtain a real decent AR, the AR is the way to go for accuracy's sake. I still love my Mini, but the AR has dazzled me too. :cool:
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  3. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

If Bushmaster is part of the Freedom Group I am betting their quality is going downhill then definitely. I think they fired all their customer service people, because they don't want to hear from you about negative stuff. They don't care. They are living on their name alone, definitely not quality of their product because quality isn't there at all.
    I think the Ruger Ranch Rifles are fairly accurate. Maybe not as accurate as say a Rock River AR, but better that some. And, they will eat just about any ammo. I have been told they gauge as a 5.56 too, not just a .223 by one guy who has gauged the chambers of several of them. So, that is a plus too.
  4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Yep, even the Ruger User's Manual says that you can use 5.56mm ammo in all but the "Target Model" Mini despite that fact that receiver is marked .223 Rem.
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Gunhugger sums up my thoughts exactly on this one.

The mini 14 upgrades and accessories are expensive, very limited and often junk.

the AR15 platform has so many more options
  6. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

I'm working on the AR 15. As a ranch rifle though, here where I live, the mini 14 works better in a saddle sheath. However, for the saddle, my lever action 30-30 is the best anyway.
  7. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Yep, this one rode the range on horseback in my uncle's saddle scabbard for 30 years up in Colorado prior to WWII. It shows the wear, but the bore is still mirror bright. I saw my uncle drop a big brown bear with one shot using this rifle back in the 60's when the bear came into our camp looking for trouble. 30-30 Win. is a good round.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012