Ruger MK II question

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by 23dave, Feb 8, 2011.

1. 23dave

23dave New Member

This site is blocked at work so I just signed up from home.

I broke the forward sight screw in the barrel. My ham-handed, non-english speaking machinist "friend" did not fully understand DO NOT DRILL INTO THE BARREL when I asked him to remove the broken piece of screw. He has not fully understand yes, no yes? and helpfully drilled all the way thru the barrel liner and neatly retapped the hole! Yes, my fault for not watching and he shall hear no grief from me about this, ever. I can man up on this one.

The hole edges are clean but is this gun dangerous? I am afraid I have already answered my own question and am just looking for confirmation.

I have a spare barrel liner that looks unused. Can I chuck the reciever end of the barrel assembly in a 1.00 collet and unscrew the barrel? The flats on the barrel are .745, a 3/4" wrench should do it. Is there a Loctite I should soften with a heat gun (not torch)? Can a regular guy press out a barrel liner and replace it?
  2. 23dave

23dave New Member

Re: Ruger MK II question part 2

Well, the liner I have is .375 OD (and .22 ID ha ha) but the gun needs a .500 OD liner so self replacing it is less of an option.

Can I buy a liner?

Also, during installation of a Majestic Arms Speed Strip- which by the way works great and is well worth the money, I lost the detent ball on the safety. No problem there, McMaster Carr to the rescue within a day. I now have 99 extra .125 diameter 304 stainless steel detent balls foar anybody that wants one for free. Postage included.
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

so basically the guy drilled through into the bore. what size of hole is it that goes into the bore? i dont think it would be dangerous to shoot it. wouldnt be any different then shooting a gas operated gun with cast bullets. it might not adversely affect the accuracy either. just have to shoot it to find out
  4. manufacturingman

manufacturingman New Member

I am rebuilding my MK I. I seem to have lost the mainspring detent ball which is the same for all 3 models.
    I intend to buy replacements from McMaster Carr also.
    Ruger sells them for $2 each, but I would rather have spares.
    By the way, I would recommend 316 SS over 304.

But do any of you have the diameter of the Mainspring Detent Ball?
  5. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Just look at it as a ported barrel.
  6. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 Member

Maybe look at a replacement barrel online. It may be cost effective to simply replace the entire barrel with a new lightweight aluminum design
  7. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

+ 1 on that one. Better yet make them uniform and drill five of them.
  8. MR MAGNUM 357

MR MAGNUM 357 New Member

its ported, just make sure there are no burrs in the barrel from the drilling
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013