1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Ruger MKIII Doubling

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by pawn, Jan 24, 2009.

1. pawn

pawn Active Member

I was at the range today with my MKIII shooting federal bulk ammo. All was well and then I experienced one incidence of double firing on a single trigger pull. This pistol has been enhanced with VQ trigger & sear.... I have probably put 3000 rounds through her since the trigger job and this is the 1st time I've experience doubling :confused:

My gunsmith did the trigger work.... can this sort of thing be a one off with low risk of safety implications or do I need re-visit the gunsmith?

-pawn :)
  2. troutwest66

troutwest66 New Member

I would take it back to your gunsmith. Maybe a part that was put in has a rough spot or might be defective. Who knows but the safety aspect is worth having it looked at again.
  3. artabr

artabr New Member

Maybe a piece of trash jamed the firing pin for that one shot. This is the first time I've heard of one of the Ruger series of pistols doubling like this. :confused: :eek:
    Have your guy check it out.

Art
  4. Mainspring

Mainspring Member

I think artabr made a good point. When is the last time you took it apart and cleaned and oiled the firing pin. I'd try that first and place no more than 4 rounds in the magazine at a time and fire it a few times that way. I saw a 1911A1 go full auto on a range one time with a full clip. The muzzle was not down range any more when the last shot was fired and everyone was on the ground with their hands over their head... including me.:eek:
  5. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I think we went through the cleaning portion of the Ruger Mk series. Mine done the same thing becouse of bulk ammo. It was most likely the ammo. I fond after after about 300 rounds with bulk I have to take it all the way down and clean it. I have found crap in places it should never been able to get to from junk bilk ammo. Clean her out and take it out and put a few clips through her and see ifit does it again.
  6. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

7. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

When mine done it, it took it upon itself to empty the rest of the clip. 6 rds baby, it was from a bur that came of one of the rounds.
  8. 94z07

94z07 New Member

9. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

From the amount of cussing I was doin at the range there was no boubt that they knew it was a malfunction.
  10. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I just watched that video and that is bull and I mean ultra stinky. WOW is all I got to say. It was probly cuz he was shootin an AR that he got called. I was at an indoor range with an off duty County Police officer two stalls from me wen mine malfunctioned and he came over to take a look at it with me while I was tearing it down and he seemed unconcerned about it. Thank God after seein that video.