Ruger Model 77 purchase and problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by fyimo, Sep 25, 2009.

1. fyimo

fyimo New Member

Ruger Model 77 purchase and problem ( Pictures added)

I picked up a Ruger Model 77 a few days ago in 270 Win and it's the early one with the tang saftey. It has a fantastic walnut custom stock on it with awesome tiger striped grain on both sides of the stock. The gun came with a Barska Euro Pro 30 3x9x50mm IR scope on it and I'm going to replace that with a Leupold Vari XII 3x9x40mm scope that I already have as soon as the Leupold mounts arrive that ordered for it.

I took the gun to the range yesterday and it shot nice tight groups around an 1 inch at 100 yards but they were moving all over the target by as much as 6 inches at 100 yards. I would get a nice group and then let the barrel cool and shoot another group and it would move. I assuming it's a scope problem and I will find out after I switch out the scope. It wasn't the typical stringing that occures from a hot barrel. If the scope doesn't solve the problem I will have my gunsmith look at the stock fit to make sure that it's right amd maybe get it glass bedded. I'm willing to work to solve the problem because I bought the gun right for $400. I mean the stock is just drop dead gorgous. :)
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  2. Sandman

Sandman Member

If you are getting 1" groups, seems like you have a good rifle. I would guess that the new scope will cure the problem. Seems like if it was the rifle, individual shots would move rather than groups.
  3. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Glad to hear of your experiences with the Model 77. I've a 77 in .22 Hornet on my purchase list for when funds allow.
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Are you getting the same 1" group all over the target ??

If the scope isn't the problem, check the action screws for proper torque then make sure the barrel isn't touching the stock.
  5. *LIKTOSHOOT*

*LIKTOSHOOT* New Member

I`m with Shooter45, if it prints one inch groups...but they wonder all over.
    You`ve got a woody problem:eek:
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

If yours was like mine, (I have a .223 Ultralight) then your barrel channel wasn't clearing the barrel. Mine was touching the left of the barrel towards the front. I inlet the barrel channel and full length bedding job with 5 lbs up pressure. Problem solved.
    I also agree with a previous post. Check your screws. My rear tang screw was loose when I bought mine. Didn't totally fix the problem but did tighten up the groups a little. Your definatly not linear stringing, you wouldn't be holding groups for s*$% it that was the case.
    1 inch groups with Rugers Lawyer Trigger is pretty dang good.
  7. fyimo

fyimo New Member

Thanks guy and I almost feel like a rookie after being shooting for 40 years. I checked the screws and there were two of the three that were a little loose. I will see how it shoots at the next outing. The guy that had this stock made most have also has the trigger worked on because it has no travel and is crisp at about 4 pounds.

I put the pictures up so you can see why I love the stock. The scope isn't very good at all.

Ruger Model 77
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

wow :eek:that stock makes mine look like poopy, and I like (liked) mine. Thanks for ruining my day......I'm kidding. He did some fine work on it and at 400 bills you didn't go wrong.
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Dang! That is one beautiful piece of woodwork!

If your 77 is like the others I've worked on with the light sporter or ultralight barrel profiles, it will like a little bit of up-pressure on the barrel at the end of the forearm.
    Like Helix & Shooter posted, I would check the action bedding/screws first. I would also probably wind up glass-bedding the action and trying a floated barrel first. If a floating barrel didn't work, then I'd do a bit of up-pressure at the end of the forearm.
    How well was the action inletted into the stock? Is the barrel free-floated or bedded? Any imperfections in the action bedding might let the action slip around enough to vary the barrel contact against the forearm from group to group.

BTW, to try out a floating barrel...
    Spend a bit of time with some index card material and cut some shims to put under the action to lift it up enough to get the barrel floating, then go out a group the rifle. If groups go to pieces with a floating barrel, then I would go with up-pressure on the forearm too.

I love the old pre-MkII 77 triggers. Most of em that I've worked with have been acceptable from the factory...but with a little work they cleaned up even better. Sounds like yours is just about what I consider perfect for a hunting rifle. Clean & 4lbs.
  10. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Now that you have found the problem, contact Ruger and find out how many inch pounds to torque the action. Keep us posted on your progress.
  11. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Hey Bindernut have you ever had success free floating a pencil thin barrel like on the ultra light were the grouping got better? I went straight for the full bed on mine from recommendations from others b/c they all said the ultralight needed the support weather it be full length or fore end bedding. It works fine but now it seems that free floating might have been a good option also. I'm not questioning your recommendation to free float, I'm just wondering in your expertise if it works with thin barrels to free float them as well.
  12. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

The ultralight barrels I've worked with (Ruger 77s & Remington Sevens) have all been done with tip pressure. I did action-bed & free-float a Model Seven .223 that had a typical warped forearm pressing the barrel to one side. It was all over the place while free-floated (like 3-4" groups @ 100yds!) and it would start stringing on the 2nd group. Put a bit of tip pressure on it and it settled back down to around 1-1.5".
    I haven't messed with free-floating any skinny barrels since that one.
  13. Sandman

Sandman Member

What does glass bedding typically cost? I am thinking about doing it with my M77.
  14. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

the kits run 20-25 dollars depending on brand and how much epoxy is included. Some kits do more than 1 action. If your only doing 1 then just get the brownells single action kit. Most of what you need is time and patients. If this is your first bedding job, the M77 is one of the most difficult because of the angled lug. Just take your time fill in any holes that you don't want filled with epoxy, with some clay. I would highly suggest looking for some web sites on it or a book or video before you try yourself. Bad things can happen if its done wrong such as your action become mechanically locked to the stock which will result in you having to destroy your stock to get the action out.
  15. Sandman

Sandman Member

Hmmm.... Okay, what does a gunsmith usually charge? Sounds like I may want to have a professional take charge.