Ruger New Mod. Blackhawk

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Buford Allen, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

I recently got a Ruger New Mod. Blackhawk. It originally came with a .357 cyl. and a 9mm cyl. and is in stainless steel. It is in 95% condition and has "Made In The 200th. Year Of American Liberty" on top of the barrel. The guy I got it from only had the 9mm cyl. for it. What is the possible value of this pistol w/o the .357 cyl.? Can I get a .357 cyl. from somewhere and if so how much would it cost? :cool: The reason I'm asking the value is; I traded a Chinese SKS for this pistol and $100.00. I only had $189.00 in the SKS and I think the pistol is worth around $300.00 but I can't be certain since it's missing one of the cylinders.
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

The problem is that it is the wrong cylinder. What you have, basically, is a large single-action revolver chambered for 9mm Parabellum, and I cant imagine finding a buyer for that.

In order to get out for $250, you're going to have to get that .357 cylinder. You can start scouring the online auctions (dont forget eBay, that's probably your best chance) for a cylinder then have a gunsmith fit it to the revolver. Or, you can send the gun to Ruger for them to fit a cylinder.

Either way, it needs to be done. You'd be lucky to get $200 without it.
  3. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

OK, what is the probability of getting the 9mm cylinder drilled out, by a gunsmith, to accept the .357 cartridge?
  4. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Possible, but it would be cheaper to get the cylinder.
  5. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

Well, I guess I'll start looking for a cylinder. I don't mind the fact that I only have the 9mm cyl. It's cheaper to shoot the 9mm than .357 or.38 but I would like to have the .357 cyl. in order to make the pistol complete and give it a little more value. Thanks for the info. :)
  6. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

"It originally came with a .357 cyl. and a 9mm cyl. and is in stainless steel."

How does one lose one of two cylinders?
  7. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

"Cylinder? What cylinder? Oh, I remember it came with a little Crown Royal bag in the box that I tossed out, maybe that was it..." Just kidding!!
  8. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

I'm not exactly sure how the pistol wound up with just the 9mm cylinder. I got it from a co-worker with no explanation. He just said that when he bought it there was just one cylinder with it. He didn't say but the kind of guy he is the pistol probably came from some Pawn Shop.
  9. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I just checked Brownell's and they don't stock the new cylinder.

Looks like your only option is a new one from Ruger if you can't go the used route.
  10. henry0reilly

henry0reilly Member

?? only one cylinder ??

The very first question that would come to my mind in this case is to wonder if at some point the gun might have been stolen. Most people view the 9 mm cylinder as being the "extra" one. If it is at all possible, try to track down the original cylinder. Ruger will not sell you one without sending in the gun to have it fitted.