Ruger new model super blackhawk

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

Lars
    (4/6/02 4:56:10 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Ruger new model super blackhawk
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Im about to buy a used Ruger new model super blackhawk 4 5/8" barrel. Does it have any common faults? This is my first smallarm, and i could need some reloading tips. Is it worth the extra price paying for electroplated bullets, or can i shoot lead? What bulletweights are best?

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/6/02 6:57:47 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Ruger new model super blackhawk
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Does it have any faults? yes, it's fun to shoot and heavy loads tend to cause the trigger guard to hit your middle finger from the recoil.
    I shoot cast bullets in mine but I don't load then real heavy. I cast 240 grain semi wadcutters. When I want heavy loads I use factory ammo otherwise I just load to 44 special specs.
    Use any bullet weight you want, try several until you find what shoots best, because that gives you a reason to go shooting.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/6/02 10:19:33 am)
    Lars, generally speaking, lead bullets in a pistol are fine, as long as you keep them to subsonic velocities....say below 1100 fps. Best used for light plinking and target loads.

By "lead", of course, I mean a hard lead alloy.....not pure lead, which should be saved for blackpowder arms.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/7/02 5:30:10 pm)
    Lars, jeeper1 called it - heavy loads have a tendency to cause the pointy back of the trigger guard to bite your fingers. (also depends how firm your grip is, however).

And being a .44mag, pretty easy to push the velocity to the point where barrel leading becomes an issue.
    I usually use copper-washed (plated) rounds for my reloading for this piece.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/7/02 6:48:49 pm)
    Rayra, what brand are the grips on the .45 in the top left?

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/9/02 9:33:29 pm)
    standard(?) Hogue wraparounds (with finger grooves).
    LOVE. THEM.

Rich

Rocket2Mars
    (4/10/02 5:00:43 pm)
    Get a set of Pachmeyer grips to cover up the sharp corner of the trigger guard and it will be more comfortable shooting. If you want to keep ammo cost down reload with hard cast lead bullets. If you can pick up anything written by Elmer Keith. He was the guru who got Remington and Smith and Wesson together to build the .44 Magnum. You may hear mention of a Keith type bullet which is basically a 240 gr. Semi Wad Cutter (SWC). His favorite load was 22 gr. of 2400 powder. Many Rugers have a tight bore and this load may very well be HOT so start low and work your way up.

MICHDAN555
    (4/11/02 9:12:23 pm)
    Having loaded ammo for 30 plus years and casting my own bullets, I'm curious where you came up with 1100fps as maximum speed for a cast bullet. Having put many thousands of cast bullets down range from both handguns and rifles, as well as hunted with them, the 1100fps limit is definitely incorrect. From 9mm to 500gr .45/70 and most everything in between, and velocities from 600fps to well over 2000fps, cast bullets are more than capable of performing many tasks. They don't HAVE to be pushed over 1100fps if that is your personal limit, but to make a general statement that there is a limit is, in and of it's self is quite erroneous. Not trying to start a flame here, but this ol' geezer has been there and done that. Tis better to give no information than to give incorrect information, don't you think so?
    MICHDAN-CHIEF-GEEZER

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/11/02 9:33:02 pm)
    Rayra, please ID the stainless revolver with the pachymeyer grips. Looks like a short barrel Anaconda. Me bulbs are only about 15 watts trying to see.

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 4/11/02 10:34:12 pm

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/13/02 4:56:46 pm)
    gunguy, it's a Mod. 681, .357, and the frame is also stamped with 'NYSP', which I was told stood for New York State Police.
    I bought a pair of them about 12yrs ago at a major gun store in San Diego, was told they were part of a batch of 'surplused' (?) revolvers.

Sweet shooter, have the heavy leather police holster laying around somewhere, too. Can't tell if it's had a trigger job, or if it's just worn smooth. The finish has long-term wear /rub marks matching the holster, too.

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/29/02 11:11:52 pm)
    You can load hard cast bullets to about 2600 fps, but anything over 1600 fps needs a gascheck.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

Jaketec
    (6/11/02 11:03:59 pm)
    Hope you decided to get the Blackhawk. I couldn't live without mine!

Rich in Lincoln
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/13/02 2:59:26 pm)
    I’ve just finished my little Super Blackhawk hunting pistol project this morning. Mine is in 71/2”. It’s stainless so when I dehorned it I didn’t have to refinish it. Taking the sharp edges off that square trigger guard made a big difference. I did a bunch of stuff to it:
    Made a custom front sight with a light gathering dot (I have a machine shop).
    Installed a rear 7/32 peep type sight (One ragged Hole)
    Put new checkered buffalo horn “Gunfighter” Grips from Eagle Grips (I like it to look a little Cowboyish)
    It also has a trigger job and the trigger's ribs have been removed (to quote the last owner, “condoms should have ribs not triggers”)

When my new printer/scanner/fax gets here next week I will post a picture, if I can figure out how to do it!

Shooting it on Father’s Day! I will post the results.
    -Rich

P.S. I’m looking for a vertical holster for the big dog.