Ruger Old Army conversion cylinder

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Larry in Michigan, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Larry in Michigan

Larry in Michigan New Member

I have just purchased the R&D conversion cylinder for my Ruger Old Army
    pistol through Buffalo Arms. It slid right in and fits very nicely. The enclosed instructions indicate that jacketed or semi-jacketed bullets should not be used.
    Does anyone have any idea why that might be?

Larry in Michigan
  2. Larry in Michigan

I left a message with the manufacturer, and they (he) returned it saying it was not advisable for the gun or the cylinder, DON'T DO IT!!! Very adamant. I still don't know why, but I guess I'm not gonna do it.

Larry
  3. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

Because the cylinder was not indexed at the factory. Shaving lead at the cylinder gap is better that shaving a jacketed bullet.
  4. Larry in Michigan

Makes sense to me. Thanks for the response.

Larry
  5. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

In the early 80`s my brother in law and I purchased a pair of these. In the days of replica`s, it was hands down quality.

We shot conicals over a low charge with cornmeal filler, over a rest they would both deliver excellent accuracy. Which could be improved on by checking the groups of each chamber and then marking them from good to worse.

On the best chamber, each would produce a one hole group at 25 yards.
    We had lots of time back then, I believe my head would explode doing that today.......lol