The Firearms Forum banner

Ruger Old Army Conversion

Tags
ruger
4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bubba15301 
#1 ·
At my range a shooting friend tried and fell in love with my Ruger Old Army.We shot both cap and ball and mild loaded 45 Long Colts in the Taylor Conversion cylinder.Naturally, he wants one and asked me if anyone has ever done the gunsmithing to convert the gun to fire 45 LC cartridges other than the existing available conversion cylinders.I've never heard of this but I'm sure it's possible similar to how they did it in the 1873 era of cap and ball conversions.Any feedback?Is this a good idea or bad?If it's possible I wonder what the cost might be.
Thanks

#2 ·
IMHO unless the smith is doing the labor for free or in-trade the cost of paid labor would be more than the worth of the orginial investment.

the drop in cylinder isn't cheap but much more cost prohibitive than the smith route, and the end result is 100% without the human factor involved with a smith doing a first time operation......remember murphy's law.....

sewerman

#3 ·
I bought the Taylor Conv. for my ROA. The workmanship in this Conv. is outstanding. I could not find a .45 bullet in my mold collection that would work in .45 Colt Taylor chambers. The chamber is shorter due to the ignition plate behind the cylinder. I now shoot the .45 Scholfield with a 255 gr. semi wad cutter. The Scholfield works great. The U.S. Army dropped the .45 Long Colt in 1877 and went to a Short Colt round. I guess they had problems back in the day.

RC

#4 ·
I bought the Taylor Conv. for my ROA. The workmanship in this Conv. is outstanding. I could not find a .45 bullet in my mold collection that would work in .45 Colt Taylor chambers. The chamber is shorter due to the ignition plate behind the cylinder. I now shoot the .45 Scholfield with a 255 gr. semi wad cutter. The Scholfield works great. The U.S. Army dropped the .45 Long Colt in 1877 and went to a Short Colt round. I guess they had problems back in the day.

RC
they went to the short round because they had S&W and colt revolvers. the s&W cylinders were too short for the colt rounds, so instead of 2 different cartridges , the army just went with the shorter round

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.