Ruger Old Army loads

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Coyoteman, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Coyoteman

Coyoteman New Member

Hello Folks, I'm new here. Only been watching for about two weeks now, with one post, but really enjoying this forum. I have a question. A few years back, I bought a Ruger, Old Army revolver, in stainless steel at a show in Chantilly Va. The only thing I could find wrong with it was the absence of one of the nipples. The seller only wanted $75.00, so I jumped on it. I replaced the nipple, and put it in the back of the safe. I would like to shoot the thing, but I'm not sure where to get loading data. I did fire it with 20 grains of FFFG, but I'm sure it is safe to fire with more than 20 grains. Any help here?
    Thanks,
    Coyoteman
  2. V509

V509 Member

Watch out for police... you stole this one

Great grab on a quality gun.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day Coyote man i've recently got one and worked a few loads and projectiles , i'll put it into text from my notes and post for you
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

25 grn's of FFFg with the ball as a start

i've come to like the LEE-90392 Lee Bullet Mold, .45 caliber, 250 grain

start at 26 grn's for the mini ball i use bullet butter over the powder under the ball ( not as much as i seen in their video's ) and even less for the mini ball

keep 28 grn's as a max load , some powders ( the newer pyrodex types) burn way hotter that others , and above about 28 gns ( by volume) to get a mini ball compressed to below where it needs to be in over pressing on some powders ..

between 22 and 28 is a good shooting experience but 22 you'll notice the difference in drop and recoil to 28 ..

enjoy!!
  5. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Great deal Coydog, congrats.
  6. Coyoteman

Coyoteman New Member

Thanks for the help boys, I'll try it out on my next day off. I'll post how it does.
    Thanks again, and have a happy Thanksgiving, holiday.